'18 Expedition Platinum vs '18 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OnStar is a great safety feature. Other companies have tried to copy it but I don’t think they are as good/robust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mbrace, which is a glorified version of onstar with benz is hard to beat.

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never owned a FORD, but within the last few months rented an Expedition(they were out of Subs/Yukons) to tow a large trailer across the state when my Suburban was not available. Instead of me controlling the trailer like I did in my Suburban, the trailer was controlling the Expedition. It's rear suspension didn't seem strong enough to hold the weight properly (despite having the specs to do so), thus that rear sagged which help made the front end light. It was night and day from my Suburban, and was a miserable 6 hour tow.
It also seemed very utilitarian compared with the GM's, and that is especially true of the Denali from what I've seen.

I’ve found the complete opposite and I think my previous expedition handled just as well as the Yukon XL towing. I’m a utilitarian guy, Loved this last gen of Expeditions, not sure I like the 18’ in comparison, I like em built Ford tough, Not ford soft. The prices are out of control I might be buying used next, this truck was stupid expensive new and the payments end soon, looking at today’s prices I’ll keep it and buy used next. After paying it I’m not satisfied, I payed around $70,000 and don’t feel satisfied three years later, feels like i over payed as I come to the realization it’s just another automobile. I wasted $$$ and I could get the same truck used for a fraction of If I did it over. That new shine wears off and you go “hey, why did I fork out almost six figures for this thing again?”.

Last edited:

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve found the complete opposite and I think my previous expedition handled just as well as the Yukon XL towing. I’m a utilitarian guy, Loved this last gen of Expeditions, not sure I like the 18’ in comparison, I like em built Ford tough, Not ford soft. The prices are out of control I might be buying used next, this truck was stupid expensive new and the payments end soon, looking at today’s prices I’ll keep it and buy used next. After paying it I’m not satisfied, I payed around $70,000 and don’t feel satisfied three years later, feels like i over payed as I come to the realization it’s just another automobile. I wasted $$$ and I could get the same truck used for a fraction of If I did it over. That new shine wears off and you go “hey, why did I fork out almost six figures for this thing again?”.

I understand that point, as I've purchased many used cars before, however with the 2015+ GM trucks I would be a little worried in buying someone else's problems. I feel like the older generation didn't have as many problems. With this generation and all the documented issues, I think 'd rather buy new and have the dealer behind me, but maybe that's just wishful thinking, lol.

Last edited:

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand that point, as I've purchased many used cars before, however with the 2015+ GM trucks I would be a little worried in buying someone else's problems. I feel like the older generation didn't have as many problems. With this generation and all the documented issues, I think 'd rather buy new and have the dealer behind me, but maybe that's just wishful thinking, lol.
I see this reasoning and is why I decided to buy mine once it comes off lease. I know where mine stands and would hate to inherit someone else's problems. And yes, with what they are charging for these things now (I thought $78k was crazy for mine) I am not getting back into an expensive lease.

Ming15237

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If I was looking for a large full size suv and willing to drop north of 60k, AND I was concerned about quality and resale value, and reliability, I would be looking at a one or two year old Toyota Land Cruiser or better yet Lexus LX570. Their reliability is without question the best in the world and they hold their value like no other large suv out there. We have owned 2 LX570’s, an Escalade and a Yukon Denali and currently an Infiniti QX80. My wife drives A LOT! The LX570’s gave us the best service by far! Buy 1 or 2 years old for 50 to 60 drive for 5 years and you will still get in the 40’s out of it when you sale it as long as it’s not beat and is serviced regularly. Buy a Denali for 75-80 sell in 5 years and you will be lucky to get in the low 30’s out of it! That’s a hella hit in resale value!

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I was looking for a large full size suv and willing to drop north of 60k, AND I was concerned about quality and resale value, and reliability, I would be looking at a one or two year old Toyota Land Cruiser or better yet Lexus LX570. Their reliability is without question the best in the world and they hold their value like no other large suv out there. We have owned 2 LX570’s, an Escalade and a Yukon Denali and currently an Infiniti QX80. My wife drives A LOT! The LX570’s gave us the best service by far! Buy 1 or 2 years old for 50 to 60 drive for 5 years and you will still get in the 40’s out of it when you sale it as long as it’s not beat and is serviced regularly. Buy a Denali for 75-80 sell in 5 years and you will be lucky to get in the low 30’s out of it! That’s a hella hit in resale value!

Huh? You’re comparing the depreciation of a one or two year old Lexus to a brand new Denali. Why aren’t you including the first two years of the lexus’s Depreciation? A brand new lz570 three row STARTS at $89,980. A Denali starts at $65,695. If their five year old value is 10k off five years later, what is your point?

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KBB private party values for 2012 models with 100k and standard options:

Lexus GX460: $24,982
GMC Yukon Denali: $20,391

hunter991

Reaction score
Yes, a lexus should hold its value and they are great reliable SUV's. But it really depends on what you use your SUV for. I looked at them, wanted one, but they don't tow like a chevy or ford. We have boats, ATV's, sleds, etc.... and the lexus just didn't have the tow ratings. The gas mileage isn't as good either. I came from the Sequiua which had the 5.7L. Great vehicle and towed what i needed it to tow, but the chevy is better at towing. I get no squat when a trailer is connected, far more options inside and a better ride. Not knocking the Seq, but the chevy is nicer all around than the Seq was. I will say a toyota will have better quality and slightly better resale, but in the meantime, time of ownership i use my suv as a power vehicle.

kmdcolo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think you've done your homework. I would go out and drive them, as you mentioned, and see which is better for your family. Interesting you mentioned the drop down screens on the GMs vs the screens in the back of the headrests on the Fords. Drop down screens where every seat in the vehicle is a "good seat" for viewing is a requirement for my 3 young kids. If we had the two screens in the head rest like on the Expy, the kid stuck in the middle seat (or if we had 2nd row captains seats, the kid in the back) would be upset...just the way my kids are, lol. So having drop down screens in the middle of the aisle, like a jumbo jet, is best for us.

Question: You still going with 2nd row captains seats with 5 kids? I have a friend with 5 kids and he debated that with his wife when they were purchasing their Suburban. They almost went with the 2nd row bench but then decided on getting the captains seats, and later were so happy with their choice. They said it made loading/unloading the kiddos so much easier. Is that what you're also thinking?

If we go with the Expedition we'll get a bench seat in the 2nd row. The Ford's tilt and slide seats work really nice and can be tilted and slid forward even with a car seat installed (must be using latch). If we go with a Denali or Escalade we'll get bucket seats.

I currently have Recaro Pro-Ride seats but need to buy 3 Diono Radiant RSTs so I can fit them 3 across in the 3rd row.

kmdcolo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The GM has tech, I think the 4G LTE Wifi is a nice feature! Also, OnStar with the app to lock and unlock the doors, start the engine etc. Love that! Have an 05 Tahoe and wish I had all these goodies :)

The Expedition has pedestrian detection and braking, auto braking (full stop) and resume, surround view cameras w/washers, and self-parking. It also offers 4G LTE via AT&T.

I like the Denali a lot and I can probably pick it up for a less money. I'm not sure if all the tech is worth the price and potential headaches.