'18 Expedition Platinum vs '18 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at 1:33 you will see the Chevy is level and has adjusted for the load.. at 4:12 just look at the squat on the ford. . Its ready to wheely. Hardly what i would expect from a truck that says it can tow over 8k.

it is squatty but it certainly didnt bury the rear tire.

Would be interesting to know if it has max tow package or not...

Chevy has massive gaps between top of tire and fenders than the ford to begin with...Maybe thats why leveling/lowering kits are so popular on these?

Last edited:

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never owned a FORD, but within the last few months rented an Expedition(they were out of Subs/Yukons) to tow a large trailer across the state when my Suburban was not available. Instead of me controlling the trailer like I did in my Suburban, the trailer was controlling the Expedition. It's rear suspension didn't seem strong enough to hold the weight properly (despite having the specs to do so), thus that rear sagged which help made the front end light. It was night and day from my Suburban, and was a miserable 6 hour tow.
It also seemed very utilitarian compared with the GM's, and that is especially true of the Denali from what I've seen.

Do you remember if it was the old body (2017 and older) style or a new 2018? Since you're describing it as "utilitarian" compared to GM I'm thinking it was probably the older body style Expy. The new one that just came out over the last few months has a nice interior, still somewhat utilitarian I suppose, but pretty nice when compared with the GM variants.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I currently have a Nissan Armada other than a few batteries has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I don't currently own a Suburban or Yukon XL but I am in the market for a new full-size SUV. I have 4-kids in Recaro car seats and we are expecting number 5 in May. We are looking at a 2018 Denali XL, 2018 Ford Expedition Platinum Max, and 2018 Lincoln Navigator L to replace the Armada. We are trying to line up extended test drives of all 3 models so we can compare them at the same time.

GMC
Pros:
  • Power
  • Behind 3rd row cargo
  • Rear door size
  • Rear seat entertainment (dual monitor on the ceiling. My kids all have iPads but think video screens are so cool)
  • Space (width) between row 2 captains chairs
  • Looks

Cons:
  • 3rd-row legroom
  • Lack of tech (compared to Ford)
  • New version coming in a few years

Ford
Pros:
  • Legroom in every row
  • Sliding / Tilting middle row seats w/child seat latched
  • Tech - Cross-traffic alert, self-parking parallel/perpendicular, surround view camera
  • Drive modes (snow, eco, towing, sport)
  • LED lighting
  • Towing capacity

Cons:
  • Massive rear doors (fear door dings and chipped edges)
  • Smaller cargo space behind 3rd-row
  • Panorama sunroof (I hit my head on the headliner in row 2)
  • Rear seat entertainment (on front passenger headrests)
  • No discounts
  • New model bugs(engine and transmission aren't new technologies)

Navigator
Pros:
  • Same as Ford Pros
  • Interior is superior to GMC, Ford, Cadillac except for the push button transmission
  • 450HP / 510ft lbs

Cons:
  • $$$
  • No discounts

I grew up driving 3/4 ton Suburbans 83' 5.7, 92' 7.4, and 03' 8.1.

I think you've done your homework. I would go out and drive them, as you mentioned, and see which is better for your family. Interesting you mentioned the drop down screens on the GMs vs the screens in the back of the headrests on the Fords. Drop down screens where every seat in the vehicle is a "good seat" for viewing is a requirement for my 3 young kids. If we had the two screens in the head rest like on the Expy, the kid stuck in the middle seat (or if we had 2nd row captains seats, the kid in the back) would be upset...just the way my kids are, lol. So having drop down screens in the middle of the aisle, like a jumbo jet, is best for us.

Question: You still going with 2nd row captains seats with 5 kids? I have a friend with 5 kids and he debated that with his wife when they were purchasing their Suburban. They almost went with the 2nd row bench but then decided on getting the captains seats, and later were so happy with their choice. They said it made loading/unloading the kiddos so much easier. Is that what you're also thinking?

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you remember if it was the old body (2017 and older) style or a new 2018? Since you're describing it as "utilitarian" compared to GM I'm thinking it was probably the older body style Expy. The new one that just came out over the last few months has a nice interior, still somewhat utilitarian I suppose, but pretty nice when compared with the GM variants.

I cannot honestly tell you, since I am not up on Fords.

This was within the last 2 months, and it was very new, but I'd be guessing to say whether it was a 2017 or 2018.
The rental car agency was Alamo if that helps regarding how new their fleet/stock is.
As to my comment about utilitarian, that was based more on the interior, as it was not as plush or refined as the 2015 GM's.
Then again Ford has always seemed to go for more of a plain truck look, rather than the refinements of imports/GM's in my view.
For example my friends Excursion was a beast, but appeared to _____ compared with my Suburban.

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at 1:33 you will see the Chevy is level and has adjusted for the load.. at 4:12 just look at the squat on the ford. . Its ready to wheely. Hardly what i would expect from a truck that says it can tow over 8k.

That was the experience I described as well. Keep in mind my Suburban is a 2007 vs. the Ford rental which was either a 2017 or 2018. That squat was not only there, but the front was higher and felt light. This also surprised me just as you described.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alamo website shows the older model expys. Essentially a 10 year old vehicle design. Doubt they have max tow either.

1511904475181.png

View attachment 190274

Last edited:

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was the experience I described as well. Keep in mind my Suburban is a 2007 vs. the Ford rental which was either a 2017 or 2018. That squat was not only there, but the front was higher and felt light. This also surprised me just as you described.

A 2007 suburban is the same generation as a 2017 navigator. The 2017 navigator design is actually a bit older than a 2007 suburban.

crispychris9

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I currently have a Nissan Armada other than a few batteries has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I don't currently own a Suburban or Yukon XL but I am in the market for a new full-size SUV. I have 4-kids in Recaro car seats and we are expecting number 5 in May. We are looking at a 2018 Denali XL, 2018 Ford Expedition Platinum Max, and 2018 Lincoln Navigator L to replace the Armada. We are trying to line up extended test drives of all 3 models so we can compare them at the same time.

GMC
Pros:
  • Power
  • Behind 3rd row cargo
  • Rear door size
  • Rear seat entertainment (dual monitor on the ceiling. My kids all have iPads but think video screens are so cool)
  • Space (width) between row 2 captains chairs
  • Looks

Cons:
  • 3rd-row legroom
  • Lack of tech (compared to Ford)
  • New version coming in a few years

Ford
Pros:
  • Legroom in every row
  • Sliding / Tilting middle row seats w/child seat latched
  • Tech - Cross-traffic alert, self-parking parallel/perpendicular, surround view camera
  • Drive modes (snow, eco, towing, sport)
  • LED lighting
  • Towing capacity

Cons:
  • Massive rear doors (fear door dings and chipped edges)
  • Smaller cargo space behind 3rd-row
  • Panorama sunroof (I hit my head on the headliner in row 2)
  • Rear seat entertainment (on front passenger headrests)
  • No discounts
  • New model bugs(engine and transmission aren't new technologies)

Navigator
Pros:
  • Same as Ford Pros
  • Interior is superior to GMC, Ford, Cadillac except for the push button transmission
  • 450HP / 510ft lbs

Cons:
  • $$$
  • No discounts

I grew up driving 3/4 ton Suburbans 83' 5.7, 92' 7.4, and 03' 8.1.

The GM has tech, I think the 4G LTE Wifi is a nice feature! Also, OnStar with the app to lock and unlock the doors, start the engine etc. Love that! Have an 05 Tahoe and wish I had all these goodies :)

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The GM has tech, I think the 4G LTE Wifi is a nice feature! Also, OnStar with the app to lock and unlock the doors, start the engine etc. Love that! Have an 05 Tahoe and wish I had all these goodies :)

OnStar is a great safety feature. Other companies have tried to copy it but I don’t think they are as good/robust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jason952

Reaction score
Wouldn't get a first year Ford, but the navigator is tempting. Nah, sticking to my 2018 denali. But, I'm glad the navi will push go to make the next Denali in 2020/21 even better, maybe finally a pano roof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe1844