'18 Expedition Platinum vs '18 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aviator_JPN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in the market for the large SUV and deciding between 2018 Expedition or 2018 Yukon Denali. Price wise, they are similar. I wonder if I could get your input on the followings if you have considered/owned Expedition before.

1. Quality/Reliability of both builds (Historically on these models)
2. Resale value (Historically which one holds better RV?)
3. Repair costs (Historically which one is more expensive?)
4. Maintenance intervals
5. Safety rating (Historically)

Thank you in advance for your support on this!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to be honest for me, I wouldn't buy a ford simply based on the fact that atleast in my area the fords in the junk yards outpace the gm's probably almost 10 to 1 ok maybe 8 to 1 still its crazy, and I don't like there steering wheels and they float like a big old boat going down the highway. go test drive some, put them thru some moves and compare how they handle gm/ford. do some lane changes, do some hard turns, brake and accelerate hard, do some empty lot sharp turns left/right, to me the difference is night and day.

Serg-214

Reaction score
The Ford guys will most likely say how the 18 Expy/Navi is more "family friendly"...whatever that means...it's an SUV just like the GM ones for crying out loud. And how nice the interior is on a model that's 4 years ahead of the GMs.
Question is how important are looks to you?
The ride can only be so smooth and the seats can only be so comfy.
Even with Fords best shot(18 Navigator), they still don't look better than any of the 3 GM SUVs.

LI Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in the market for the large SUV and deciding between 2018 Expedition or 2018 Yukon Denali. Price wise, they are similar. I wonder if I could get your input on the followings if you have considered/owned Expedition before.

1. Quality/Reliability of both builds (Historically on these models)
2. Resale value (Historically which one holds better RV?)
3. Repair costs (Historically which one is more expensive?)
4. Maintenance intervals
5. Safety rating (Historically)

Thank you in advance for your support on this!

Sure sounds like questions to ask on an Edmunds forum or one of the Car magazines.

You are certainly not going to get unbiased opinions on a GM based forum

hunter991

Reaction score
I was in the same boat as you a few months back, do i order an Expy or get a 2017 Tahoe. I went with the tahoe. I hope i don't regret it. But here is my take;

The GM was far more expensive in 2017 than the 2017 Ford. The 2018 Ford expy will be far more expensive than the GM from what i am seeing. The platnium trim is up near 80k. Sorry, but won't take that kind of risk for a first year model.

Again, this is a first year model. It should be fine, however, first year anything you have to expect some issues to pop up.

I was unsure about the Ecoboost motor. There seems to be issues with gas getting into the oil causing sludge. Now, they may have fixed it with the new EB, but there is information saying that the motor will have issues on some vehicles around the 100k mark. That will either kill resale or cost you money to fix. I am just not sold on the 6 cyl with turbo yet.

The ford also is not that attractive. To me it looks like the ford flex. The expy hasn't been attractive since the early 2000's where it actually looked nice. The GM vehicles turn heads. I have had so many comments on my black tahoe i lost count. It just looks awesome.

gas mileage, the ford, even thou claimed it matches the GM in the real world doesn't seem to be true. I can get up to 23 mpg in the summer with my tahoe. My neighbor has the 2017 Explorer with the 3.5 and he hasn't seen over 20 yet on highway. Said he is averaging about 18.5 when he babies it. When you are in the turbo it burns gas.

Ford will have a better tow rating than the 5.3L GM, but the heaviest i tow is about 6k lbs. If i ever go above that i will get a pickup with a diesel which is meant to tow more. My tahoe is rated for 8300lbs and the ford can get up to 8500 lbs i believe so not much of a difference.

All that being said, i have owned alot of fords in my life. 2 Expys', 3 F150's. This is my first GM with the Tahoe. Some of the fords were fantastic, some not so much. My 2006 Liarat 150 was the biggest POS i have ever owned with the 5.4L motor. It left me stranded 2x in under 65k miles. I swore i wouldn't buy another. Once i stranded in the winter outside of cell coverage. Fuel injectors, electrical issues and terrible dealer support. I am not saying the Expy will be junk, quite the contrary, just saying take a look at the big picture.. you will be spending alot of money.

OP
OP
A

Aviator_JPN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

Good feedback. I agree that Expy will sure have some issues as it's 1st year production. And glad to see hunter991 pointing out on the turbo engine as I did not pay attention to it much. I'd assume that the turbo engine won't last as long as non-turbo engine w/o any issue in my view. I'd like to own a car for many years w/o many issues. So matured model might be the way to go. I will drive both and see which I'd like the better. If I end up with liking Expy more, I might wait for another year to get the car.

Is stock light of Denali bothering anybody, not bright enough? I understand that those are not LED.

Thanks again.

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t like the way the Expedition looks and I’ve never had good luck with the 3 F150s I’ve had in the not so distant past.

OP
OP
A

Aviator_JPN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So historically Ford is always inferior to GM in quality/durability?

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So historically Ford is always inferior to GM in quality/durability?

In short no. Look up longest lasting vehicle studies and Ford usually fairs better. Expedition is the 4th longest lasting vehicle in America (older ones not the new one who knows).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2