'18 Expedition Platinum vs '18 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford has historically better reliability and the new Expedition outpaces the current gen GM’s in many ways (interior space, torque, HP, interior fit/finish, technology etc)

Their exteriors are virtually identical so that’s a toss up IMO.

But you’re in the wrong place if you’re looking for pragmatic well balanced answers. Check consumer reports (believe it or not some people believe even they are in on a massive anti GM conspiracy lol) and check out things like historical and predicted reliability.

Drive what you like and then buy that. Gotta like what you drive. Have fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
Have you driven them yet? I just compared the 15 Lincoln version of the Expedition before I bought my 15 Yukon Denali. I have owned a Flex oddly enough and really liked it... so there was a lot similar in the Expy - only "more" of it - that I had in the Flex. There was nothing wrong with the Ford (Lincoln) that I drove, had the EcoB which is pretty stout getting 380HP and 470lb. The seats I found to be very comfortable as well, I'd say a little more cushion than the Yukon. Also it was about $8k less...

Still after my drive, while I didn't find anything really wrong with the Expy, I didn't find anything I really loved either. I drove the Yukon Denali the next day and it was an easy choice.... I'm not going to knock any brand I've owned them all and generally speaking have had good experiences. But there is a substantial difference behind the wheel of the Yukon that I knew I'd regret passing on with the Lincoln. Don't let the EcoB horror stories scare you off - there are literally hundreds of thousands maybe even reaching into the millions when you consider Ford has an Ecob in nearly every model car, truck and SUV.

Drive them both and look for features that matter to you - storage space, comfort, visibility, ride difference. The Yukon (at least mine) has a much firmer ride - in a good way - where the Lincoln had a lot more body roll and "float" feeling. That might be your preference, who knows. Anyway these are both really good SUV's with a ton of capability and best thing you can do is drive them and play the dealers off each other to your advantage :)

Good luck!

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drive them both on extended drives and choose which one suits you best.

I’m been loyal to GM for 20 years but objectively faced with that decision today I’d lean Ford for a variety of reasons, with seating comfort being in the lead.

Those casting doubt on fords 3.5 turbo’s reliability are incorrect imo. Sure there are occasional issues, just like there have been issues with the 5.3 and 6.2 GM motors. Ford has sold well over a million of the 3.5 TT. It’s not an experiment.

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drive them both and look for features that matter to you - storage space, comfort, visibility, ride difference. The Yukon (at least mine) has a much firmer ride - in a good way - where the Lincoln had a lot more body roll and "float" feeling. That might be your preference, who knows. Anyway these are both really good SUV's with a ton of capability and best thing you can do is drive them and play the dealers off each other to your advantage :)

Good luck!
I agree with this. I like the new Expy as I also like the looks of the new Explorer. I feel the new Expy has more of a Range Rover look to it than Flex. JMO
I don't think one can compare their Yukon Denali to a previous platform Expy/Navi being as how this is a new platform. In the past I felt the Ford offerings were rather blah compared to the Denali. Certain things were just so unpolished or rough on the Ford products- exposed rear windshield wiper, exposed trailer hitch, exposed muffler. The backs of these vehicles was just so ugly.
Now having owned an 09 Expy EL and having rented several Navigators through Enterprise I must say they are a better riding, more luxurious vehicle from the interior aspect. The seats themselves are so much nicer (plusher) than those in the Denali. However the Denali definitely feels more sporty.
I like how in the Denali I feel I am driving a V8 truck. I feel like there is something under me.
The Ford's feel like riding on a cloud, as mentioned above. The Denali definitely has a much more aggressive look to it. Ford's just never seem to have an edgy look to them. They are built to appease the masses. Well except for the Raptor and Mustang. They are pretty bad ass.
I would drive both. But the new Expy certainly would interest me too if I was in the market.

JTRATX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't touch the Navigator simply because its the first year out of the updated model, and a big one for me is I can't stand the ecoboost motor. I had a 12 F150 ecoboost and it was horrible, the turbo delay was horrible and for towing my car hauler it sucked. I only like the linear power deliver of a NA motor, but that's me. Love my 17 Denali, tows fantastic.

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not an ecoboost fan either, I believe in cubes. Want a great ford engine? Go modular V8 or the 6.2L Boss, simple design, big cubic inches and great power delivery. Love the feel of American displacement. Still the 3.5 is fine but I prefer their naturally aspirated engines.

cbuckeye20

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
those wheels... are hideous: https://www.lincoln.com/cmslibs/con..._content/renditions/cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

Expedition decent looking, but I guess I was expecting more of a design change than just riff'n on the Explorer.

I say this as a half ford (father in law) half GM (grandfather) family and we try to keep 1 of each vehicle to keep the peace :)

I hope next refresh for GM catches up interior wise. I liked my old '09 Ford Escape's console better than my '15 Tahoe

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those wheels... are hideous: https://www.lincoln.com/cmslibs/con..._content/renditions/cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

Expedition decent looking, but I guess I was expecting more of a design change than just riff'n on the Explorer.

I say this as a half ford (father in law) half GM (grandfather) family and we try to keep 1 of each vehicle to keep the peace :)

I hope next refresh for GM catches up interior wise. I liked my old '09 Ford Escape's console better than my '15 Tahoe

I agree but the navi looks much better with the other wheel options.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pictures don't do the Navi justice, you have to see it in person.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree...I've seen many on the road and they do tend to have more of an edgy/classy look than what pictures show.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA