07 Yukon Denali inspection cover on Bell housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charles Hughes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just acquired a 2007 GMC Yukon Denali (6.2 gas) (rust free I might add). Pretty excited over this. So I fixed the low oil pressure. Easy peasy removing the nasty Valvoline oil filter and replacing it with a wix. New cusswords were formed removing it they had it on so tight!

I noticed on the bell housing there is a few inspection covers. Looks like they are leaking a tad. Not horrible but would like this nipped in the bud. Does anyone know what the part number is? I can add a pic later but I'm sure someone here will know. I don't want aftermarket if possible.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The inspection covers themselves don't have seals. The question is, where is the leak actually coming from? There are a ton of threads here on common oil leaks on these trucks. But if you post a photo here of where you're seeing the leaks, we'll be able to guide you better.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your purchase. I love mine, and I suspect that you will love your, as well.

OP
OP
C

Charles Hughes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The inspection covers themselves don't have seals. The question is, where is the leak actually coming from? There are a ton of threads here on common oil leaks on these trucks. But if you post a photo here of where you're seeing the leaks, we'll be able to guide you better.

Attachments

• PXL_20240212_210538048.jpg
    PXL_20240212_210538048.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
C

Charles Hughes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the covers. You can actually see a tad a drop on each of the covers. It's red so assuming tranny fluid

OP
OP
C

Charles Hughes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
FINALLY another member with an undercarriage as oily as mine.
Yea that was a nightmare fix! Original owner went to Valvoline and they overtightened the oil filter so bad I almost had to impact it off! I had to do 1/8" increments and most all that oil splatter is from the filter having a slice in it from being too tight. Hardest oil filter I have ever had to remove!

Reaction score
Those covers are just inspection covers and don't seal anything in. You can use a screwdriver and pop them off and use a flashlight and look inside for oil residue on the flywheel or rear engine cover.

Most of the time, that drip you see on that cover, is just residue from the outside, maybe from that oil filter conundrum, collecting at the lowest point.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see 2 fluids there: a drop of transmission fluid and a drop of oil. You have a good explanation for the oil, but I'd also be keeping an eye on that transmission fluid. The input shaft seal can leak also.

The most common oil leak I see on these engines is where the oil cooler lines go into the oil pan above the oil filter. Whether you have lines or a block-off plate there doesn't matter; eventually that gasket will start to leak. If you have cooler lines then there is also an o-ring around the plug on the backside of it that can leak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019