2014 Yukon XL Denali - Pre-Purchase Inspection (AWD System)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOW that's a lot of mark up
the "bearings" may very well be meaning the rear main seal, but still you can get that done elsewhere for under $1k
oil pan is not so bad
plugs/wires is marked up
transmission service at that price should include a new filter, rather than just exchange of fluid
power steering flush is marked up
rear shocks you can diy for around $600 w/arnott z55, plus you get $50 core credit each oem shock core returned so around $500

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
800$ to do plugs and wires.

I need a side gig lol.

most of that inspection is crap.

as said, all looks like normal stuff.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looking at this again.

remove and replace AWD: was how they listed everything. they just left off the :

I think they are talking about the engine main bearings. the one thing that will never fail on your ls without catastrophic engine failure.

that inspection isn't worth the paperwork it was printed on. Just do the regular fluid changes that are past do. put back some money for a oil pan gasket when it starts dripping.

do the rear shocks. there's a youtube video of a 18 year old kid doing them with like 4 wrenches and a jack.

Crumple that paper up and throw it away

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The pre inspection report (PIR) gives the buyer leverage. Just like a dealer gives new customers “safety inspections” in exchange for a laundry list of potential mechanical failures to create urgency and fear, the PIR is the equivalent for the customer to say GTFO of here with that selling price.

Even if the PIR is slanted, difficult to interpret and some of it is potentially true, that benefits the buyer immensely. It the dealer that’s going to want to crumble up the PIR, not the buyer. The PIR was done well on the buyers behalf this round.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Ahhhrg! I posted before I saw all your updates and reports.

Glad you kept it. We took our 09 Escalade Platinum to a diesel truck Indi shop for the trans service. Our trucks are light weights compared to what they wrench on so they enjoy pulling the trans to access the rear main and don’t overcharge.

When the trans is out for the rear main seal it’s a mechanics dream for 90% of the heavy line work that normally requires other parts moved or removed.

4CAB41C0-EC9B-43E5-A6B2-A9C675416176.jpeg

MWD_CTSV

Reaction score
Thanks, none of it was all that surprising other than the $4500 labor item. I think their other price seem fairly high as well but at least make some sense.

I agree with @wjburken, they are making a note that it is AWD, because it adds to the complexity of replacing the main bearings. I suspect the oil pressure is low enough (possibly a bad pressure sensor), or maybe a failing pickup o-ring, that they would think it needs new bearings. I think it is highly unlikely that the main bearings are bad, but essentially you have to take off everything on the front of the engine and behind it and beneath it just to get the crank out. Of course now that I think about it, it would probably be much faster to pull the engine out. So the labor is probably minimum $3000, and the bearings are another $100. If you need to resurface the crank that is another $300. It adds up quick. But realistically the odds of bad bearings is pretty low, and the only way you can really know they are bad is to remove the oil pan and inspect them, so it seems a little ridiculous to quote something like that.

MWD_CTSV

Reaction score
Definitely recommend replacing all the fluids. The flywheel looks pretty dry to me. The inspection hole is wet because oil leaks drip down the outside of the bell housing to that low spot. Either from the oil cooler gasket or the oil pressure switch or both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts