'04 6.0L Escalade AC Compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems like the AC compressor is not kicking in. What should I be looking at?

Thanks

OP
OP
N

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low refrigerant (You have a leak).
Refrigerant level is fine. Checking it, trying to add some, is when I could tell the compressor was not kicking in. But, that doesn't mean there's not a leak.

But, since you brought it up, it did have a leak a year ago, and I fixed it:

Last edited:

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turn ac on the coldest setting and use a stick to tap on the clutch. If it engages and stays going, you need a new clutch as the air gap is too wide for the coul to pull it in. I had to do this on my Silverado

OP
OP
N

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, it's working fine today. My wife is the one who reported the issue.

But, that's today, and in a haunted vehicle.

I would love to have an Escalade or Tahoe or Yukon where everything is not automated. Our 2000 Yukon was not, and always worked just fine, right up to the 225K miles when we got our first Escalade.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Refrigerant level is fine. Checking it, trying to add some, is when I could tell the compressor was not kicking in. But, that doesn't mean there's not a leak.

But, since you brought it up, it did have a leak a year ago, and I fixed it:

How exactly can refrigerant pressures be correctly measured if the clutch isnt even engaging the compressor?????

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can easily check whether it's the refrigerant level by simply bypassing the pressure switch.

If the compressor starts, the refrigerant pressure is too low.

But I agree with Rockola1971. Most of the time it's the refrigerant level, but of course it can also be the magnetic clutch, the relay for the magnetic clutch or the climate control.

To check the magnetic Clutch, you can easily put 12 Volt on the compressor connector. If the clutch engage, then your problem is the relais or the control.

OP
OP
N

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe it's because the vehicle is haunted. It's working fine now.

Airman68

Reaction score
Agree with the faulty switch or refrigerant level. You can only check pressure with a gauge, not qty. With the unit full, should be 100psi or greater depending on ambient temperature. However, the amount of refrigerant is per the vehicle and options. Most of these are between 28-32oz or so, more with rear air. That cannot be checked by putting a gauge on it. 90% of the time it's low refrigerant even if you measure the correct pressure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleeeper