How much ac compressor oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Warriorpluto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the compressor for rear AC. How much oil is required? I changed the compressor back in 2021 but added no oil to the used one. So I'm back here in the same boat trying to make things right after the replacement burned up today

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can definitely put too much PAG oil just as you can too little. I've worked on many disasters over the years from some bad DIY scenarios. Definitely take your time and get this part as close as you can.

PAG oil will always smell like "cash" to me, since the majority of AC I worked on at the dealership was customer pay.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it should say under the hood sticker too no?

burned up is the worse. black death gets in everything. flush everything you can't replace

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
If you just changed one part out, drain the oil from the old part for the "balance".
The way it works is to follow the capacity for that part per the chart, but if the oil drained exceeds the amount they recommend that you add that amount back.
Pag 46 if i remember correctly.

I have the ac delco stuff if you need a pn, but it's just pag 46.

If metal went into the system, then it's a total disassemble and flush of everything.
Replace the drier and the screen/filter while you're in there.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I'll also note that if you start hearing the compressor too much, you can add more pag oil after the charge with it filled with refrigerant.
The sound it makes can be a sign that there isn't enough oil...
but it's more of a "feel the force" type of a thing for me as a novice.

I used one of these to add a tiny bit more oil to a system, it's pretty handy.

1711125374250.png

The way I use this thing is to measure out the amount of oil i want to inject, pour it into the tool with the valve closed.

Then hook the gauges up to it, hold it up to keep the oil in place but bleed some refrigerant out of the hose end to push out the air, then let it rip into the system.
I like to use it before the gauges so I can see the oil flowing through the window, that also allows me to flow into either the high- or low-pressure side if I wish.

This also allows you to inject dye if you need.
I currently have none in my system so if I feel the need, it's an easy addition.

OP
OP
W

Warriorpluto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks alot guys. Just now getting around to doing this today lol. I will also order the product just fishing has shown me. Didnt know it was possible. Not much oil came from the old compressor. Not sure where it went. I got a used compressor for now. When that came all the oil had wasted out. The plastic plug had come out. So i will add 3 oz for now and add some later if i still here the compressor cycle too much.

Attachments

• 20240422_171152.jpg
    20240422_171152.jpg
    585.3 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
W

Warriorpluto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it should say under the hood sticker too no?

burned up is the worse. black death gets in everything. flush everything you can't replace
Surprisingly there were very few flakes on the orifice tube. When it burned the belt i instantly turned off the ac button. I just installed the oil and its running cool for now and no high pressure. I will update if it goes bad before i leave overseas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019

Latest posts