01 Tahoe - Hot AC Mystery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure it's helpful at this point. But charging & diagnosing AC system became MUCH easier once I understood superheating and sub cooling. One AC tech described it best to me. High side evap inlet after orifice tube or expansion valve (beginning of boiling process) should be bear can cold. The outlet should be lukewarm. Anther tech said around 10 degrees warmer on outlet / low side. This is the heat being extracted from the cabin. There's similar check on condenser / sub cooling.

I honestly don't know why vehicle service manuals don't describe super heating and sub cooling. It's WAY easier to understand and the pressures are an indirect measurement of what's actually going on.

FYI I just bought GPD parts to rebuild my whole AC. Don't buy them. Look for Denso, appears to be what factory used. Their quality is terrible / is what rock auto sells.

Feel free to PM me for my phone if you run into troubles taking apart the rear heat exchanger. I've got mine taken apart right now and have torn down a few of them at this point. I'd be happy to walk you through it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali