2001 Tahoe AC issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I did some work on my 2001 Tahoe today.

I periodically fire it up as it is not currently a daily driver.

I noticed that there was a significant belt squeal, combined with the AC not working at all.

Checked the relay in the fuse box, and it was warm, nut not hot, with out the AC button the dash being on.

With the button on, the clutch was not engaging.

So, i decided to check the belt, and it was loose, so I think the tension stopped tensioning properly.

Could this have possibly damaged the cutch?

I took the AC belt off and the squeal is no more.

Any suggestions as to what to look at to try to resurrect the AC? My father in law said it was fine before he parked it.

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the failed AC Clutch Cycle Switch on my 2001 at 155K miles in 2016. I also replaced the Accumulator, Orifice Tube, and new Freon charge at same time. I really should have replaced the Compressor - it failed a few years later. So maybe look at the AC Clutch Cycle Switch? It was only a $35 part.IMG_3441.jpeg

Last edited:

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check if the compressor is turning free. Not that the tensioner or belt was damaged due to a stuck compressor.

Therefore you must turn the inner part of the clutch normal wise to reach from the front of the magnetic clutch.

Or put 12v on the compressor, then the clutch engages and you can feel if you can turn the compressor.

Alternatively you can switch on your engine, engage the AC and try to turn on the magnetic clutch when its without belt.

But be very careful, if you come with your fingers into the other belt, you can loose your finger very fast!!!

Do that only with a proper view and stand, like when the truck is on a carlift.

OP
OP
01BlueTahoeGuy
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.
The compressor rotates, albeit a bit tight.

I will get a belt and tensioner (as they are needed anyway) along with a new relay and pressure switch to see what happens.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That low pressure cutoff switch is there to protect the compressor from a closed refrigerant system which happens to have lube oil mixed with it that lubes the compressor. Once the pressure of the system gets below around 20psi that low pressure switch disallows the ac clutch to engage preventing damage to the compressor. So you may have a refrigerant leak and the typical culprit is the schrader valve cores at the hi and low side charge ports. If the compressor is quite old they tend to leak at the output shaft seal and the worst possible scenario is a leaking evaporator core in the dash or in the rear (rear ac).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar