01 Suburban on DJM 3/5.5 Bad ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PUNKYOU007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a few months ago I got and installed the 3/5.5 kit on my suburban. I have to say I am not happy. My biggest gripe is with the rear. I did the free travel mod. If I hit a small pothole or bump it feels and sounds like I am bottoming out. It's terrible.

I do have to add that I have a box with 4 18's in the back. If I had to guess the weight I would say about 600-650lbs for the subs and box. This could be the cause but I would assume I should be fine.

What do u guys think? I see so many great reviews but if I had to rate the ride of my truck I would give it a 4 out of ten, ten being the best.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So a few months ago I got and installed the 3/5.5 kit on my suburban. I have to say I am not happy. My biggest gripe is with the rear. I did the free travel mod. If I hit a small pothole or bump it feels and sounds like I am bottoming out. It's terrible.

I do have to add that I have a box with 4 18's in the back. If I had to guess the weight I would say about 600-650lbs for the subs and box. This could be the cause but I would assume I should be fine.

What do u guys think? I see so many great reviews but if I had to rate the ride of my truck I would give it a 4 out of ten, ten being the best.

if you have 600-650 thats the problem plus throwing people in the rear would make it worse.

All you need is the airlift helper bags and you will be fine.
Airlift part number 60742 and you can just use a compressor to fill them up and you are set.

sidenote what does your truck measure from ground to fenderlip in both front/rear and what size tire?

I also have 1 inch spacers here that can be used with your springs to bring the rear up 1 inch for more clearnace. With 600-650 in the back of extra weight im guessing that the rear of the truck is lower than the front right now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PUNKYOU007

PUNKYOU007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I forgot about this post.

Front drivers: 31.25"
Front pass: 32.25"
Rear drivers: 30.25"
Rear pass: 31.25"

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup...that extra weight is hurting you. Spacers or air-lift assist will help a ton!

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry I forgot about this post.

Front drivers: 31.25"
Front pass: 32.25"
Rear drivers: 30.25"
Rear pass: 31.25"

if you jack up drivers front it will bring down the rear passengers also.

OP
OP
PUNKYOU007

PUNKYOU007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to installing the Air Lift helper bags yesterday...I think I am driving a truck again! LOL...it made a WORLD of difference with my ride quality. I tried and tried and tried to bottom the truck out with no luck.

Whats the recommended air pressure or is it just to liking?

Also found out that one of my rear DJM shocks is bad...

01yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that same kit on my 01 hoe and so did my friend and it rode like shit! I ended up selling mine because of it and he bagged his. DJM needs to do something about those rear springs. My advise to you is bag the back, nothing crazy. The weight would help you, not hurt you. When I towed my boat it rode like a dream.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I had that same kit on my 01 hoe and so did my friend and it rode like shit! I ended up selling mine because of it and he bagged his. DJM needs to do something about those rear springs. My advise to you is bag the back, nothing crazy. The weight would help you, not hurt you. When I towed my boat it rode like a dream.

these are totally different rear springs. I dont use the djm rear tahoe springs i use a different brand trailblazer spring and rear shock combo totally different springs/shocks etc

OP
OP
PUNKYOU007

PUNKYOU007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tony I sent you a couple text messages but have heard nothing back. I see that your email is in your sig so I will send you a link to the Youtube video of my bad shock. Let me know what else I need to do so I can get thsi fixed AsAP. thanks

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
i sent you 2 texts both with my email address for the shock video.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo