2022 Suburban Battery Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fishon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Purchased a certified pre owned 2022 Suburban with 35k miles on it 4 weeks ago. It has already been back to the dealer twice now for not starting. The first time we jump started it after charging for over 40 minutes, it had a check engine light, so took it to Auto Zone and it gave a break malfunction code. Then drove the car back in to the dealer and they said dead battery and replaced it. Two weeks later the truck again would not start, called the dealer and after some back and forth they agreed to come get it and drop off a loaner in the driveway. The dealer has now had the truck for 4 days and is telling me they cannot replicate the problem. They did have to jump start it when they picked it up so they know it’s not like I fabricated this.

I am waiting to see what they are able to find, but from what I’ve read this is a known problem with GM. It was not running any update prior to shutting off either time. I am a Mom with 2 young kids, and am pregnant with another who is due in 3 months. I also work out of the home 2-3 days a week. Having an unreliable car that we spent 70k out the door on is frustrating to say the least (we even purchased the extra 7 year/100k mile warranty). Obviously we are already in our heads thinking this is a lemon, but per our state the incident must happen 4 times or be out of commission for a total of 30 days before we can pursue action.

Just curious if others have had similar issues and where you ended up?

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most common cause of a dead battery has been failed OTA updates. Sounds like that’s not your problem so there’s other areas that need to be looked into.

I saw recently a GM Techlink article that mentioned to look into the 3rd row power fold switches. If they are disconnected it can keep the BCM awake and cause an excessive battery draw.

Here’s some other areas to investigate -

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was there a carfax provided that may have shown prior issues similar to yours

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is also a TSB about a 3rd row power seat module not being fully seated, and this causes the BCM to stay active and drain the battery. I’ll spend some time over at NHTSA site and see if I can find it…

Didn’t find the 3rd row seat tsb, but did find a couple that maybe apply.

First one would be a possible nick or wiring issue in either the rear window defogger grid or the glass breakage sensor lines on both rear quarter glasses.
Or an issue in the wires themselves connecting all these.

Other one I found is an issue w/ the hands free lift gate module keeping the BCM awake:

There are also several related to failed OTA updates, but sounds like dealer already ruled these out.

Good Luck…

Last edited:

cmatthews77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a ‘21 Tahoe LT and not long after I had it (bought new) this happened to me when there was the first “system update”. Next day I got into the truck and it was completely dead; wouldn’t jump. Dealer came and got it and replaced the battery. Obviously it made me weary to do anymore system updates but luckily hasn’t happened again.

I killed my battery completely one other time when the family was camping. My kid was listening to the radio and even though we cranked the car some to charge and we turned it off I think his phone stayed connected somehow to the system and ran the battery all the way down. Again; wouldn’t jump and had to get it towed to the dealer from a campsite which was an ordeal.

My advice would be to purchase one of those jump off starters that the dealers use. Just more powerful than the jumper cables from another vehicle just in case you’re ever stuck in a situation and really need to start.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My advice would be to purchase one of those jump off starters that the dealers use. Just more powerful than the jumper cables from another vehicle just in case you’re ever stuck in a situation and really need to start.

One downside to jump packs is that the battery being jumped must have a certain voltage level for the jump pack to sense; otherwise it won't, well, jump. In that case a solution is to connect the dead battery with jumper cables from another vehicle, then add the jump pack to the connection.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting.... I happened to check the carfax of a 2022 Yukon a few weeks back and it already had 3 replacement batteries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660