Long Roadtrip in Yukon 2500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Woldy1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey yall, So I have a 2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500 with about 201,900 Miles on it. I'm planning on taking it on a road trip from Atlanta to San Antonio Texas. It was a city car for the last 10k miles but before mostly for towing and road trips. It was a lemon law Truck from Florida in the early 2000s But it has been running great for the past 10 or so years. New Catalytic Converter and Oxygen Sensors, Was loosing Antifreeze level but I found the issue to be mostly water in coolant and it was corroded and was brown, I just flushed the system a few times and put in an additive. I will keep it on cruise control and try to keep the RPMs lower for less stress on the engine. What is yalls opinion on me driving it about 1.5-2k Miles?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No issues. As long as your oil pressure is good and you're not losing coolant.

If you haven't replaced those plastic adapters near the firewall for the rear heater, may want to replace those.

Other than your typical rubber hoses, belts and regular maintenance items.

SA to Atlanta should be pretty flat, so no real reason to use high RPMs. Does yours have 3.73s or 4.10s?

Edit: if this is a 4x4, check the transfer case fluid level.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run it! We did 3200 miles and also visited San Antonio in November. Speed limit in many parts of Texas is 80 mph, so forget about keeping rpms down!

Fresh fluids, replace any cracked or worn hoses and belts and just go. You can get carried away and replace everything but the steering wheel or just go and if something happens, let the dealer fix it and get a rental and pick it up later. Small stuff can be fixed in most auto parts store parking lots and since it is a popular GM product, they'll likely have the parts.

OP
OP
W

Woldy1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No issues. As long as your oil pressure is good and you're not losing coolant.

If you haven't replaced those plastic adapters near the firewall for the rear heater, may want to replace those.

Other than your typical rubber hoses, belts and regular maintenance items.

SA to Atlanta should be pretty flat, so no real reason to use high RPMs. Does yours have 3.73s or 4.10s?

Edit: if this is a 4x4, check the transfer case fluid level.
No issues at all, I will bring a gallon of coolant with and maybe a qt of oil, It doesnt burn oil anymore as I just replaced the valve cover gaskets but it wouldnt hurt. Not too long ago the Heater core hose blew and I replaced all the Lines and water pump. Diff fluid was just changed recently too, All thats left is Trans and Transfer case fluid that I want to change next. Im not too sure if its the 3.73s or the 4.10s ill check and let you know.

OP
OP
W

Woldy1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Run it! We did 3200 miles and also visited San Antonio in November. Speed limit in many parts of Texas is 80 mph, so forget about keeping rpms down!

Fresh fluids, replace any cracked or worn hoses and belts and just go. You can get carried away and replace everything but the steering wheel or just go and if something happens, let the dealer fix it and get a rental and pick it up later. Small stuff can be fixed in most auto parts store parking lots and since it is a popular GM product, they'll likely have the parts.
Yup! This truck has never let me down. Maybe broke once or twice but never left me stranded! I'll just plan on checking everything a couple times and popping the hood every gas stop. Other that that It seems to get good gas milage too. Saying 520 Miles of range full tank!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Go for it.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd replace checkballs with the plastic ones in 4L60E / transmission. As long as under service pan also go to painless accumulator. Who works is well under $100. Otherwise if is a 4L60e, failure mode is those dumb checkballs going through separator plate. Then clutches dont lock up and burn out. I dont believe it will give much warning prior.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd replace checkballs with the plastic ones in 4L60E / transmission. As long as under service pan also go to painless accumulator. Who works is well under $100. Otherwise if is a 4L60e, failure mode is those dumb checkballs going through separator plate. Then clutches dont lock up and burn out. I dont believe it will give much warning prior.
???

OP has a 4L80e :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar