ZW7 Premium Smooth Ride Shock replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaleJr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys from what I understand I have the "premium smooth ride" code ZW7 not autoride. My trucks got 162k and I figured I'd go ahead and replace upper/lower control arms, inner/outer tie rod ends and front and rear shocks/springs for the rear. I don't have any issues now just figured it's time to replace since it's got 162k and they are still the stock ones. Should I not worry about it yet? i know they're around $250-$300 a piece, does anyone know where to get a good deal on them? Thanks

OP
OP
D

DaleJr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Screamn03! Anyone running bilstein 4600 or 5100 series shocks for the rear? I saw on their website that It'll work with the premium smooth ride just have to get their springs as well. How do they ride compared to stock?

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ZW7 is Nivomat (self adjusting) not Autoride.
Are we sure of the ACDelco # for those on Amazon?

---------- Post added at 07:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 AM ----------

580-354 seems to be the correct number for the ZW7 replacement (self leveling not connected to a control system) - they were $218/ea. on Amazon maybe that has changed a bit, now they look like $257/ea.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you tow anything or load the back down. But I do and honestly I really like my zw7 shocks. I have loaded my truck down front to back, top to bottom and still didn't squat... when mine go out, I'll be replacing them with the same ones.

Plenty of people have swapped for bilsteins and z71 coil springs. They seem happy with the ride. But I don't want to mess with helper bags when towing or loading the back down

SRTH8R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced my ZW7 with bilstein 5100's and Z71 springs. I think it rides better, doesn't feel like a mushy pos. I don't tow anything though.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Screamn03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ZW7 is Nivomat (self adjusting) not Autoride.
Are we sure of the ACDelco # for those on Amazon?

---------- Post added at 07:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 AM ----------

580-354 seems to be the correct number for the ZW7 replacement (self leveling not connected to a control system) - they were $218/ea. on Amazon maybe that has changed a bit, now they look like $257/ea.
Not sure how I originally figured out that part number but I researched it some more.

The short version is 580-354 is for Tahoe/Yukon where the 540-532 is Suburban/Yukon XL based on this:
http://www.stockwiseauto.com/product_info.php/products_id/330188
http://www.stockwiseauto.com/product_info.php/products_id/626547

The previous owner had replaced the original springs on mine with the Z71 and regular shocks. I put the 540-532 on and although it did raise the rear a little more than I liked it seems to work well, especially when loaded heavy. Still trying to find a set of ZW7 springs to swap out and try to see if the ride is any better.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the new Nivomats from Amazon and installed them yesterday along with new front shocks. The ride is better. The feeling of hitting bump stops is gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts