Z71 vs RST suspension height

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jnull

Reaction score
Looking to order a new suburban tomorrow, my wife likes the Z71 for the lack of chrome and offroad look but I’d really like to get the diesel option if it can be had in a reasonable amount of time.

Only comparing the base suspension, I have no desire for air or magnetic ride as we tend to keep vehicles a long time. The Chevy site lists both as having the same ground clearance and height from ground to top. Is the only difference between the two only the front end? Suspension is exactly the same with the Z71 being no taller then the RST?

Tinbadtin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Z71 has standard the air ride and 1.5 inch higher off the ground than other trims.

With the RST you get the standard suspension unless you option the 6.2 which comes with the magnetic ride but no way to option air ride if I understand correctly.

Tinbadtin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So to summarize if you don’t want the air ride don’t get the Z71

OP
OP
J

Jnull

Reaction score
Z71 has standard the air ride and 1.5 inch higher off the ground than other trims.

With the RST you get the standard suspension unless you option the 6.2 which comes with the magnetic ride but no way to option air ride if I understand correctly.
The Z71 offroad package comes with adaptive air ride and the offroad capability package comes with adaptive air ride and magnetic ride control, I was only planning on getting the luxury and max trailering packages. In the standard features all it says is premium smooth ride suspension, you’re saying this is an air ride of some sort?

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect either trim to be taller than the other one with the base suspension (no air ride)

we have a 2022 Z71 tahoe and I'd have leaned towards the RST if i was driving it daily (its the wife's)

you probably know this as well, but two other big differences are the interiors and tire/wheel size...20s vs 22s and RST has the red stitching. we came from an AT4 and the Z71 interior is pretty plain jane looking...steps are significantly different as well

good luck

OP
OP
J

Jnull

Reaction score
In this thread most guys are saying the Z71/AT4 is no taller then the rest. https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/2021-tahoe-z71-rough-country-says-no-to-2-lift.132249/

I like the AT4s a lot but can’t justify the additional cost over a Z71. Once I get close to Denali cost I’ll just go that route. Neither of us like all the chrome that’s the big thing that keeps me from going with something besides a Z71 or RST. I didn’t know the interiors were different, I figured the Z71 and RST were exactly the same inside. Her current ride is a 16 suburban LT that’s your basic leather trim and it’s plenty nice for her so we’re not to worried about that as long as it’s comfortable. Are the higher trims significantly more comfortable?

suterusu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Z71 does NOT come with air ride. It is the same suspension as the other trucks (except premier/high country that come with magnetic ride shocks). Ride height is the same across all non-air ride models.

OP
OP
J

Jnull

Reaction score
The Z71 does NOT come with air ride. It is the same suspension as the other trucks (except premier/high country that come with magnetic ride shocks). Ride height is the same across all non-air ride models.
Does air ride add additional height?

WVBKW

Reaction score
I agree ride height is the same in all base suspensions.

I wrestled with Z71 vs Rst also, we already have a Denali Ultimate which is my wife’s. I wanted an AT4 but actually preferred the Z71 front end over the AT4 when I realized you couldn’t get Adaptive Cruise in the AT4 or the Z71 the Z71 made a whole lot more sense. $$

I didn’t choose the RST because Airride was a must for me. The ride is great, but the real reason is towing. WIthout air ride these things squat to the ground.

I will say in my opinion the actual most plush ride is premium suspension with magnetic shocks. The air ride just offers so much adjustability I wasn’t going to give on that option. So I took a Z71 and added OEM 22’s. Kind of best of both worlds.

Attachments

• 94E1707C-0F27-47EE-A3A3-9A04D3ED2FE6.jpeg
    94E1707C-0F27-47EE-A3A3-9A04D3ED2FE6.jpeg
    529.9 KB · Views: 15

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts