Yukon: The "chrome" strip within the side molding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

h4mmy

Reaction score
Lets think outside the box guys. I would prefer not to delete my side molding on my Yukon. I like the look of it. To me, it makes the Yukon look like it sits taller and just makes the whole truck look "beefier". BUT..............i can't stand the silver piece that runs the whole length(embedded) along the middle of the side molding. To clarify, i want it to be the same color as the rest of my truck (midnight gray).

For those who don't know, that middle "chrome" strip is NOT chrome. It is simply part of the side molding that is painted. And it DOES NOT come off separate from the molding itself. So, what are my options?

Can i color match paint it???

Thanks in advance.

H4MMY

OP
OP
H

h4mmy

Reaction score
I like the look of it on yours and other trucks that are any other color than black or midnight grey. I'm going for more of a murdered out look, so i want to get rid of all chrome on my yukon.

When you say have it pulled, do you mean the entire side molding since the "chrome" strip doesn't come out itself? Then would it be a matter of sanding the entire side molding strip, or just sanding the "chrome" strip in between. I'm guessing i would have to sand the whole thing, then repaint it.

I know the proper method of sanding actual chrome on metal, but what would be the process of sanding down the side molding? It is plastic, right?

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sanding is sanding. sand it down, prep it with adhesion promotor and primer and paint it.

an alternative would be, and i saw this done on a gen 1 tundra, is to find some vinyl that matches the color...this guy found it at a sign making place. just get a length of it that fits is long eough, put it on and then trim with a razor blade. doubtful you would have the metallic of the paint but if u had it done in gray to match i think it would look great. as an alternative if u cant find it in gray, u could do a flat black so it ties in with the other black trim. but i think gray woudl look great. run to a sign o rama or fast signs and see if they have the vinyl decal material in the correct color. they have thousands of colors. it should work well.

OP
OP
H

h4mmy

Reaction score
sanding is sanding. sand it down, prep it with adhesion promotor and primer and paint it.

an alternative would be, and i saw this done on a gen 1 tundra, is to find some vinyl that matches the color...this guy found it at a sign making place. just get a length of it that fits is long eough, put it on and then trim with a razor blade. doubtful you would have the metallic of the paint but if u had it done in gray to match i think it would look great. as an alternative if u cant find it in gray, u could do a flat black so it ties in with the other black trim. but i think gray woudl look great. run to a sign o rama or fast signs and see if they have the vinyl decal material in the correct color. they have thousands of colors. it should work well.

Ooooh, i'm liking that idea..sounds inexpensive, too.

Thanks!

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think I need to add to this. You already got some good advice. Good luck! Post Pics!!

jerseyjonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya definitely can color match it
5597321917_3591ff68a5_b.jpg

5597320541_5a234d9c1d_b.jpg

5597899864_bbaf18ec99_b.jpg

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well done. The color matches great IMO.

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jersey, did u paint or what? if so, can u tell OP how you did the prep etc so he can do the same?

jerseyjonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actualy i was having some other paint work done and had my body guy shoot them he did it for like $100 and was well worth it in my opinion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chazbeaux