Yukon / Tahoe rear seat entertainment (RSE) Apple TV information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ses_yukon

Reaction score
I figured I'd post this as an FYI as I try to put an Apple TV in my 2016 Yukon. Let's just say I'm having mixed results so far, LOL! I'll update this as I go and hopefully others chime in with their experience too. There's also a summary video at the end.

Power
First issue was this. My Apple TV HD (4th gen model A1625) is pretty finicky about power. The factory inverter plug in the center console didn't power it on. Long story short, the factory inverter is a modified sine wave inverter. I needed a pure sine wave inverter which meant buying one that plugged into the 12V outlet in the center console.

Input Shenanigans
To use the RCA inputs in the center console I needed to convert from HDMI to composite. I found an adapter on Amazon and surprisingly it all worked perfectly. The only downside is you need to power the adapter which means another outlet or USB port used up. Good news is most inverters have extra USB ports and plug(s) on them.

Bandwidth
I currently have the 1 month 3GB introductory data plan. Good news is it looks like moving forward the plan is unlimited because the Apple TV sucks through data pretty quickly.

Power...part 2
Well, the Apple TV also doesn't like power cut to it so that's fun. In fact no matter how I do it when the car is turned off and turned back on I end up having to unplug the Apple TV for 30-ish seconds and plug it back in to get it to work. This is the biggest issue so far. I think I'll try one of those plug switch adapter deals and see what happens.

The Good News
When it's running it works great. I can access all my iTunes content along with streaming services. I just need to get this power dealeo figured out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ses_yukon

ses_yukon

Reaction score
A quick note to explain the final solution I've come up with...

Roku Express

The Roku works perfectly. When the car turns off, it turns off. When I start the car it turns on. The Roku supports the AppleTV app so I can access all my iTunes content. It also has all the other popular streaming apps. The Roku pulls power through a regular USB plug which is awesome. No clunky power supplies and no inverters.

So the AppleTV was a fun idea, but the Roku actually seems to get the job done.

Here's a link to my thread about the ROKU.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne