Yukon SLT HID upgrade question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bkrell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is my first post so forgive me if this has been asked. I got my wife a 2015 Yukon XL SLT w/ 4wd and tow package when they were just getting them on the lot. Needless to say, I probably paid what a similarly equipped Denali is going out the door for now. I don't regret not getting a Denali or want a Denali grill but the lack of HIDs bugs me. My car has them and when I get in the Yukon at night, I feel blind. My question is this-why is there not a direct swap from the Denali? Is it just b/c going aftermarket is cheaper? I was just wondering if I could swap out bulbs/relays etc or something or if it would be ridiculously complicated.

OP
OP
B

bkrell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Thanks and I appreciate the links but what I was asking is WHY is everyone going aftermarket? I have read those threads and it seems like a lot of trial and error and I see tacked on parts under the hood. I'm just wondering if the OEM Denali parts can be purchased or why not?:)

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks and I appreciate the links but what I was asking is WHY is everyone going aftermarket? I have read those threads and it seems like a lot of trial and error and I see tacked on parts under the hood. I'm just wondering if the OEM Denali parts can be purchased or why not?:)

sure, for over $3,000. You'll have to purchase Denali headlights, OEM bulbs, ballast and wiring for them. Just doesn't make cents to do it that way. Decent bulb, ballast and relay harness for a couple hundred and call it a day. Or even a retrofit into your stock headlights for $500 or so...

OP
OP
B

bkrell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
sure, for over $3,000. You'll have to purchase Denali headlights, OEM bulbs, ballast and wiring for them. Just doesn't make cents to do it that way. Decent bulb, ballast and relay harness for a couple hundred and call it a day. Or even a retrofit into your stock headlights for $500 or so...

Lol, ok that's what I wanted to know. I just hate the look of aftermarket HIDs when done wrong. If I do it that way, I want it to look as stock as possible. So what's the diff between our lenses and the Denalis?

OP
OP
B

bkrell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This link will explain the difference between halogen projectors and HID projectors

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45797

Man, gotcha. I guess I had assumed that since on the 2015s the projector assembly appears superficially the same, that everything would be would be relatively plug and play.

Thanks for the help!

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

So to be clear, if I want it to look stock, do I need a retrofit projector??? On that link you provided, it looks like everyone is just buying the morimoto bulb/ballast kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909