Yukon oil leak near back of oil pan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hugh Pollard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello. I was doing an oil change today on my 2008 Yukon XL Denali AWD and noticed oil around the oil pan. I wiped everything down and ran the engine for a few minutes. The oil collects around the bolt marked with the red circle in the photos. I noticed the oil pan bolts were a little loose so I torqued them down, but that didn't fix the leak. I did not tighten the bolt with oil around it yet. Will tightening it help? Any idea how to stop this leak? Thanks for any advice.

Pic1.jpg Pic2.jpg

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
if the hardware wasnt "excessively loose" than tightening the bolts further wont work. I have the exact same vehicle and mine never drips but isnt bone dry in that area when i do oil changes. if your a perfectionist than open the can of worms and do pan gasket, pickup tube o'ring and rear main. however if you can live with the knowledge that it "seeps", it isnt leaking to the point of dripping on your driveway than continue what your doing and each oil change blast it with a can of brake clean and keep going down the road. How many miles on the vehicle?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

It could be coming from anywhere from above. Back of the intake, oil sender switch.......etc.

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello. I was doing an oil change today on my 2008 Yukon XL Denali AWD and noticed oil around the oil pan. I wiped everything down and ran the engine for a few minutes. The oil collects around the bolt marked with the red circle in the photos. I noticed the oil pan bolts were a little loose so I torqued them down, but that didn't fix the leak. I did not tighten the bolt with oil around it yet. Will tightening it help? Any idea how to stop this leak? Thanks for any advice.

View attachment 248189 View attachment 248190

That bolt is holding your starter on. It has nothing to do with your oil pan or gasket. As others have mentioned, the oil is likely coming from somewhere above. Check your valve covers and valve cover gaskets. Also, pull the inspection cover off the bell housing and see what it looks like up inside your bell housing. Might check around your oil pressure sensor as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667