Your dealership and order experience...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jettix2

Reaction score
Hey everyone...

I'm a new visitor to this site and hopefully a new owner of a Yukon/Tahoe some time this decade. I wanted to see what other people's experience has been with the dealership and how their orders have been handled. We just had our order cancelled and were told we would need to wait a couple of weeks for the 2023 order bank to open. We had already waited two months and never had our order accepted. Needless to say, we're extremely frustrated. I've spent the better part of the last two weeks calling every dealership within 1000 miles looking for orders that have fallen through and somehow every single one that exists has been sold, is reserved, or won't be built for at least another two months. It seems like some have had luck in getting reasonable service with reasonable expectations being set upfront. What I've gathered over the past two weeks after talking to probably 50 dealerships are the following:

1. GM is micro-targeting what features can be ordered by specific dealership based on I'm assuming market data of some sort. There are several dealerships claiming they haven't been able to order air suspensions for a year now. Meanwhile, I see several in-transit on GMC's inventory site that have air suspensions going to specific dealers. The same applies to the 6.2. I had a dealership tell me I can still order the rear entertainment package too...they're claiming their allocations make them one of the few in the country that can. Talk to them about what options are available the soonest...they're different for every dealership. Maybe this isn't a surprise to people but it was to me.

2. In the upper-midwest, there are a lot of very low mileage (< 500 miles) "used" 2022 Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon (XL) for sale at dealerships and used car lots. I talked to a buddy about this who has some insight and he said that he knows a few dealerships where the owner has buddies buying these up at discounted prices and reselling only to share the profit. This makes sense to me too based on some of what I've seen. Highly custom stuff...coming in one month and ending up on a lot two months later on the other side of market going for $10,000 or more above what it would've sold for new MSRP. They all deny it but I had one dealership refuse to sell to me with my supplier discount and this was the reason they gave me. They thought I was going to turn around and resell it. If you have a discount, bring it up early so they're honest and upfront with you about what pricing you won't get.

3. The rural areas seem to have the dealerships who care the most about customer service. We tried ordering in a metro area and were told upfront..."we're going to take a $1000 upfront non-refundable deposit, run your credit to make sure you qualify, and then when the vehicle arrives, we'll ask you and others to pay the whatever the market rate is on your vehicle." In essence, the price I was going to pay was going to depend on who bid the most for it. I've never encountered something like it and these salesman and sales managers don't seem to see anything wrong with it. I hope people aren't actually okay with this because it sets the example that this behavior is okay even though it's incredibly stupid and ruins it for everyone.

4. One dealer told me that if I didn't pay cash, they wouldn't hold the vehicle for me. Another wanted 10% over MSRP ($90,000+ for a GMC!!) and another told me that they had a vehicle...took my deposit...and sold it anyway because I couldn't make it until later in the day (was going to drive 400 miles for it). Thankfully, I was only 150 miles in when they were polite enough to call and tell me it had been sold.

5. They're intentionally populating publicly viewable inventory to drive people into the dealerships. I don't know how many times I've been tricked into thinking that a vehicle not in-transit is actually available. 1/50 are available in my experience...the rest are "spoken for."

6. Quarterly production numbers for both the Tahoe and Yukon seem to be down only slightly compared to where they were before the pandemic. Has anyone asked why sales counts being down 10% lead to a market that would suggest a shortage far more severe? I was told it's because they're restricting who gets what in order to increase lead times to make it appear as if there's a shortage when in reality...most of the vehicles are complete and sitting in a lot somewhere. Even delivery isn't as nearly as bad as everyone says it is.

Bottom line is that the dealerships that are gouging are allowed to no matter what GM says. GM wants it this way and is intentionally keeping stock artificially low. We're extremely disappointed and frustrated. We're either going to buy an Expedition/QX80 or cancel our cross country trip this summer/next. Anyone have any advice on how to get one of these without waiting a year for one and paying over MSRP, I'd love to hear it!
Did you ever find one?

Brand0n

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you’re looking for a good volume dealer in the Midwest I highly recommend Runde Chevy in IL. They don’t sell over MSRP, order primarily duramax’s it seems, and have had a steady supply all summer. Ask for Harrison.

Joneill89

Reaction score
Are you sure it’s “fully” produced. Ordered my RST 6.2L 10/8/21, produced 5/17/22, sitting in Midlothian awaiting a couple chips. Was told by chat and dealership that it was “awaiting shipment” and it wasn’t. Now at 45 weeks and it still sits waiting to be completed.
According to my dealership there is no missing parts hold. According to both chat and dealership it is just awaiting shipment. I guess anything could be true at this point. I'm so tired of waiting

2022TahoeRST

Reaction score
According to my dealership there is no missing parts hold. According to both chat and dealership it is just awaiting shipment. I guess anything could be true at this point. I'm so tired of waiting
I was originally told the same but then my dealer sent me a map (using the onstar) and it showed it sitting in Midlothian, not Arlington where they are built and sit waiting on either a truck, or my case a train trip to Michigan. That’s when I knew it wasn’t complete and he dug deeper. But if you were told there was no “parts hold” you might be ok. In the photo, the spot marked D is Midlothian. Where incomplete trucks go to roast in the Texas sun waiting on parts.

Attachments

• F0533B51-4F47-4432-B15B-7EC007E93B6A.jpeg
    F0533B51-4F47-4432-B15B-7EC007E93B6A.jpeg
    280.3 KB · Views: 6

Joneill89

Reaction score
I was originally told the same but then my dealer sent me a map (using the onstar) and it showed it sitting in Midlothian, not Arlington where they are built and sit waiting on either a truck, or my case a train trip to Michigan. That’s when I knew it wasn’t complete and he dug deeper. But if you were told there was no “parts hold” you might be ok. In the photo, the spot marked D is Midlothian. Where incomplete trucks go to roast in the Texas sun waiting on parts.
Ughhhh. Just heard back from dealership today. Order still says "pending dispatch" but no movement.

GM chat said it cannot see location but event code 4B00. Which I've never seen before when I've asked. I'm convinced the chat literally knows nothing so I don't believe it.

I am so annoyed.

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ughhhh. Just heard back from dealership today. Order still says "pending dispatch" but no movement.

GM chat said it cannot see location but event code 4B00. Which I've never seen before when I've asked. I'm convinced the chat literally knows nothing so I don't believe it.

I am so annoyed.
That code 4B00 means bayed, waiting transportation or pulled for quality control. Most likely it’s loaded on the train and may take few days to get to your state then will sit maybe a day or 7 to get loaded on a truck...my truck was at this code for like a week then boom was in Flint which is an hour from dealership on a Monday and delivered on Wednesday.

Joneill89

Reaction score
That code 4B00 means bayed, waiting transportation or pulled for quality control. Most likely it’s loaded on the train and may take few days to get to your state then will sit maybe a day or 7 to get loaded on a truck...my truck was at this code for like a week then boom was in Flint which is an hour from dealership on a Monday and delivered on Wednesday.
Hopefully this is the case for me. The discrepancy between the dealership and GM is confusing

2022TahoeRST

Reaction score

I am so annoyed.
Chat is clueless, it showed that it was accepted for production starting in February, wasn’t accepted until April. I’m sitting at 4D00, “awaiting completion”. I see that several in my situation that had theirs built in April have had theirs completed and have either had theirs shipped or are awaiting shipment. Mine was partially produced in May. So hopefully soon. Ordered October 8th, I’m at 11 months now. Ugh

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC