Your dealership and order experience...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Market correction= MSRP. The days of 5-10K off sticker are over....

Also, for @todayusay you should run a poll on who paid cash and who financed for 10 years. I think you'd be shocked. The young families or schoolteachers that you discuss are buying Tellurides, Palisades, and Santa Fe's, Not Denali's and Tahoe's. Boats and RVs are in a completely separate category.

And for @RVAHokie If you make 400 a year and an 80K vehicle scares you, you must be mismanaging your money or live on the east or west coast. I've never made any money anywhere near that, but I was taught by a wise financial advisor in my 30's to pay myself 1st, Live Debt free within your means, and invest and let time do the rest. It's a tough row to hoe for lots of young families today.

that's the reason I added in that those families aren't coming on forums...

HD ram forum is tracking almost 1450 2500/3500s...of those over 1000 are Laramie and above...500ish are Limited and above (+$90k trucks) while Tradesmans dominate the roads and there are only 102 on the list (I'd guess tradesman and laramies are their best sellers as that is pretty much all you'd see on the lots back when inventory was a thing

on ram's website, within a 250 mile radius of Dallas, there are 1400 HDs on their online inventory

Tradesman - 555
Big horn/Lone Star - 209
Laramie - 499
Powerwagon -43
Limited - 22
Limited Longhorn -72

the most expensive trucks represent less than 7% of inventory but they represent over 30% of online users...cheapest trim is 40% of inventory but tradesman owners are less than 10% of vehicles being tracked

Tahoes are similar...

1654875237290.png

you think the majority pay cash for these SUVs and I simply think that they don't - not saying they finance the whole thing, but they have a car loan of 5-8yrs where they are paying $400-600/mo - we each have our opinion.

I'll agree that anyone buying a $90 -120k vehicle may very well pay cash, but those aren't the majority of these vehicles going up and down the road. Unicorns of the road

ProfeZZor X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I originally placed an order with a local dealership. They were in a rich area, but they were honest about their customer ordering process and DIDN'T charge over MSRP. They even had a documentation agreement to sign, so long as you financed through them, you weren't going to flip it, and you didn't buy several of them (to flip). Once I placed my order, I tracked it for a month, and the status remained the same (1100 - order placed at dealership).

I didn't stop my search, so I kept looking. I eventually found an out-of-state AT4 at a small Mississippi dealership that just got it earlier that week. There weren't many potential buyers because the town had recently gone through major layoffs at a lot of the local factories. So, I didn't hesitate to let them know I was serious about the vehicle. The tricky part of it all was that I had never seen the new color, Redwood Metallic. It was a new 2022 color but I hadn't seen it in person. I pulled up a lot of pictures of it but seeing it in person doesn't do that color justice. The best way I could describe it would be like a metallic root beer.

Needless to say, I sent the dealership a cashier's check the very next day. It was a two-week process to have the vehicle shipped from Mississippi to California, then have it registered.

Otherwise, my dealership experience went well.

Last edited:

BobS255

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone...

I'm a new visitor to this site and hopefully a new owner of a Yukon/Tahoe some time this decade. I wanted to see what other people's experience has been with the dealership and how their orders have been handled. We just had our order cancelled and were told we would need to wait a couple of weeks for the 2023 order bank to open. We had already waited two months and never had our order accepted. Needless to say, we're extremely frustrated. I've spent the better part of the last two weeks calling every dealership within 1000 miles looking for orders that have fallen through and somehow every single one that exists has been sold, is reserved, or won't be built for at least another two months. It seems like some have had luck in getting reasonable service with reasonable expectations being set upfront. What I've gathered over the past two weeks after talking to probably 50 dealerships are the following:

1. GM is micro-targeting what features can be ordered by specific dealership based on I'm assuming market data of some sort. There are several dealerships claiming they haven't been able to order air suspensions for a year now. Meanwhile, I see several in-transit on GMC's inventory site that have air suspensions going to specific dealers. The same applies to the 6.2. I had a dealership tell me I can still order the rear entertainment package too...they're claiming their allocations make them one of the few in the country that can. Talk to them about what options are available the soonest...they're different for every dealership. Maybe this isn't a surprise to people but it was to me.

2. In the upper-midwest, there are a lot of very low mileage (< 500 miles) "used" 2022 Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon (XL) for sale at dealerships and used car lots. I talked to a buddy about this who has some insight and he said that he knows a few dealerships where the owner has buddies buying these up at discounted prices and reselling only to share the profit. This makes sense to me too based on some of what I've seen. Highly custom stuff...coming in one month and ending up on a lot two months later on the other side of market going for $10,000 or more above what it would've sold for new MSRP. They all deny it but I had one dealership refuse to sell to me with my supplier discount and this was the reason they gave me. They thought I was going to turn around and resell it. If you have a discount, bring it up early so they're honest and upfront with you about what pricing you won't get.

3. The rural areas seem to have the dealerships who care the most about customer service. We tried ordering in a metro area and were told upfront..."we're going to take a $1000 upfront non-refundable deposit, run your credit to make sure you qualify, and then when the vehicle arrives, we'll ask you and others to pay the whatever the market rate is on your vehicle." In essence, the price I was going to pay was going to depend on who bid the most for it. I've never encountered something like it and these salesman and sales managers don't seem to see anything wrong with it. I hope people aren't actually okay with this because it sets the example that this behavior is okay even though it's incredibly stupid and ruins it for everyone.

4. One dealer told me that if I didn't pay cash, they wouldn't hold the vehicle for me. Another wanted 10% over MSRP ($90,000+ for a GMC!!) and another told me that they had a vehicle...took my deposit...and sold it anyway because I couldn't make it until later in the day (was going to drive 400 miles for it). Thankfully, I was only 150 miles in when they were polite enough to call and tell me it had been sold.

5. They're intentionally populating publicly viewable inventory to drive people into the dealerships. I don't know how many times I've been tricked into thinking that a vehicle not in-transit is actually available. 1/50 are available in my experience...the rest are "spoken for."

6. Quarterly production numbers for both the Tahoe and Yukon seem to be down only slightly compared to where they were before the pandemic. Has anyone asked why sales counts being down 10% lead to a market that would suggest a shortage far more severe? I was told it's because they're restricting who gets what in order to increase lead times to make it appear as if there's a shortage when in reality...most of the vehicles are complete and sitting in a lot somewhere. Even delivery isn't as nearly as bad as everyone says it is.

Bottom line is that the dealerships that are gouging are allowed to no matter what GM says. GM wants it this way and is intentionally keeping stock artificially low. We're extremely disappointed and frustrated. We're either going to buy an Expedition/QX80 or cancel our cross country trip this summer/next. Anyone have any advice on how to get one of these without waiting a year for one and paying over MSRP, I'd love to hear it!
I don't think there's anything that the buying public can do at this point. I have been waiting for a 2022 Tahoe since the end of January already built has a Vin. number I have spoken to a number of people at my dealership and GM customer service and its been the same story every month, its been moved to two separate lots in Texas not delayed but with no ETA. Unfortunately in conversing with other buyers online across the country there are a lot of us frustrated with the lack of communication from GM and at the local level. The little that I have heard about other car companies is that everyone is in the same boat unless your lucky enough to find what your looking for on the lot.

Bowfisher1970

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ordered a Z71 Tahoe from a local dealership, this is somewhere I have bought trucks from for 20 years . They told me 6 to 8 weeks possibly 10 weeks , so about 8 weeks in I see on the dealerships Facebook a lady beside the very tahoe I ordered same color same wheels exactly the same one i ordered. So I call and know one would take my call , left messages no return calls nothing . Then was looking for one at another dealership and they told me the original dealership where I ordered form sold the one I ordered for 20k more than I was going to pay . So basically sold it out from under me . Be sure your dealership don't do the same to you .

Garth Knight

Reaction score
I ordered a Z71 Tahoe from a local dealership, this is somewhere I have bought trucks from for 20 years . They told me 6 to 8 weeks possibly 10 weeks , so about 8 weeks in I see on the dealerships Facebook a lady beside the very tahoe I ordered same color same wheels exactly the same one i ordered. So I call and know one would take my call , left messages no return calls nothing . Then was looking for one at another dealership and they told me the original dealership where I ordered form sold the one I ordered for 20k more than I was going to pay . So basically sold it out from under me . Be sure your dealership don't do the same to you .
What happened with your deposit? That's ********. Sorry to hear about that!

Tinbadtin

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You should report this to GM. I’m pretty sure they not suppose to take a “retail-sold” order and sell it someone else without offering to you first. If they did that they make get a warning or GM may limit their allocations. Also a chance nothing happens but worth a try to curb this scummy behavior.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score

yep - happening all over.

i got lucky in that a mid size metro dealer (probably the smallest dealer within 20 miles of our capital city) wasn't trying to take advantage of the situation, got lucky again when our order was accepted about 1.5 months in and they held to their "selling at sticker"...Did buy a Tahoe from them over 10yrs ago but we had switched over to Yukons and they are only a Chevy dealer.

The one above that we ended up buying wasn't guaranteed when the situation that follows unfolded......Local dealer that we've bought numerous vehicles from submitted a Tahoe and Yukon order (Dec/Jan) and 6 months later still don't know if they've been accepted. Owner had several retail stock orders placed and "promised" us one, gave me the Workbench printout and everything - but I didn't have a signed contract - the good ole boy system. Checked back in 6-7 weeks later (because the TPW was sliding) and after I asked if I could sign something making that one "ours" - and once again, "it's yours, don't worry". Two hours later he called back and said that he had promised it to someone else and I couldn't have it...with no other resolution.

We'll now go out of our way to avoid them to the point having to drive past them to go to another dealer. Disappointing.

Tom-M

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone...

I'm a new visitor to this site and hopefully a new owner of a Yukon/Tahoe some time this decade. I wanted to see what other people's experience has been with the dealership and how their orders have been handled. We just had our order cancelled and were told we would need to wait a couple of weeks for the 2023 order bank to open. We had already waited two months and never had our order accepted. Needless to say, we're extremely frustrated. I've spent the better part of the last two weeks calling every dealership within 1000 miles looking for orders that have fallen through and somehow every single one that exists has been sold, is reserved, or won't be built for at least another two months. It seems like some have had luck in getting reasonable service with reasonable expectations being set upfront. What I've gathered over the past two weeks after talking to probably 50 dealerships are the following:

1. GM is micro-targeting what features can be ordered by specific dealership based on I'm assuming market data of some sort. There are several dealerships claiming they haven't been able to order air suspensions for a year now. Meanwhile, I see several in-transit on GMC's inventory site that have air suspensions going to specific dealers. The same applies to the 6.2. I had a dealership tell me I can still order the rear entertainment package too...they're claiming their allocations make them one of the few in the country that can. Talk to them about what options are available the soonest...they're different for every dealership. Maybe this isn't a surprise to people but it was to me.

2. In the upper-midwest, there are a lot of very low mileage (< 500 miles) "used" 2022 Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon (XL) for sale at dealerships and used car lots. I talked to a buddy about this who has some insight and he said that he knows a few dealerships where the owner has buddies buying these up at discounted prices and reselling only to share the profit. This makes sense to me too based on some of what I've seen. Highly custom stuff...coming in one month and ending up on a lot two months later on the other side of market going for $10,000 or more above what it would've sold for new MSRP. They all deny it but I had one dealership refuse to sell to me with my supplier discount and this was the reason they gave me. They thought I was going to turn around and resell it. If you have a discount, bring it up early so they're honest and upfront with you about what pricing you won't get.

3. The rural areas seem to have the dealerships who care the most about customer service. We tried ordering in a metro area and were told upfront..."we're going to take a $1000 upfront non-refundable deposit, run your credit to make sure you qualify, and then when the vehicle arrives, we'll ask you and others to pay the whatever the market rate is on your vehicle." In essence, the price I was going to pay was going to depend on who bid the most for it. I've never encountered something like it and these salesman and sales managers don't seem to see anything wrong with it. I hope people aren't actually okay with this because it sets the example that this behavior is okay even though it's incredibly stupid and ruins it for everyone.

4. One dealer told me that if I didn't pay cash, they wouldn't hold the vehicle for me. Another wanted 10% over MSRP ($90,000+ for a GMC!!) and another told me that they had a vehicle...took my deposit...and sold it anyway because I couldn't make it until later in the day (was going to drive 400 miles for it). Thankfully, I was only 150 miles in when they were polite enough to call and tell me it had been sold.

5. They're intentionally populating publicly viewable inventory to drive people into the dealerships. I don't know how many times I've been tricked into thinking that a vehicle not in-transit is actually available. 1/50 are available in my experience...the rest are "spoken for."

6. Quarterly production numbers for both the Tahoe and Yukon seem to be down only slightly compared to where they were before the pandemic. Has anyone asked why sales counts being down 10% lead to a market that would suggest a shortage far more severe? I was told it's because they're restricting who gets what in order to increase lead times to make it appear as if there's a shortage when in reality...most of the vehicles are complete and sitting in a lot somewhere. Even delivery isn't as nearly as bad as everyone says it is.

Bottom line is that the dealerships that are gouging are allowed to no matter what GM says. GM wants it this way and is intentionally keeping stock artificially low. We're extremely disappointed and frustrated. We're either going to buy an Expedition/QX80 or cancel our cross country trip this summer/next. Anyone have any advice on how to get one of these without waiting a year for one and paying over MSRP, I'd love to hear it!
After trying for over 6 months to get a 2021, in September I walked into a dealership near home (I have never bought from them before) and was greeted by an extremely nice salesman. They didn't have what I wanted but I felt very comfortable with the salesman and later in the day I contacted them and told them what I wanted and to order a 2022 Yukon Denali as soon as they could get the order in. They did not want any down payment to hold the order. I checked with them in October and was told they placed the order. The first week of December, I took delivery of my 2022 and it was EXACTLY what I ordered. No fuss, no muss and no markup over sticker. I can't say enough good things about Betten Baker GMC in Cadillac Michigan.
Hey everyone...

Last September after trying for over 6 months to get a 2021 Yukon Denali, I walked into Betten Baker GMC in Cadillac Michigan (I have not bought from them before) and was greeted by a very nice and knowledgeable salesman. They did not have what I wanted but I was so impressed with the salesman (I am not impressed easily), I told him what I wanted and asked him to order a 2022 as soon as GM would accept the order. They repeatedly told me they did not need a down payment to hold the order. In October, I checked with them and was told my Yukon was on order. I took delivery the first week of December and it is EXACTLY what I wanted and there was no markup over sticker. I love my Yukon and I cannot say enough good things about this dealership and their sales staff.

ARCTRUST

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We placed an order for a Yukon Denali and added the premium package.
That was October 2021. As of yesterday the order hasn't been accepted by GM.
We would have been happy with one that the dealer had on the lot but he was honest and said he could get 10K over. We could order one at MSRP with a $1,000 deposit. Our real issue was we need a bench seat in the second row and most dealers order them as the default build with second row captain chairs.

We contacted GM - opened a case and finally actually got an order number from the dealer and after months of no communication he suddenly called to tell us we had a constrained option - the Tech Package. He removed it and 2 months later it made no difference.

Good luck...... I don't know that I will jump to Ford. I would order a Chevy but the interior color choices are limited.

What an age we live in? Huh?

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's the reason I added in that those families aren't coming on forums...

HD ram forum is tracking almost 1450 2500/3500s...of those over 1000 are Laramie and above...500ish are Limited and above (+$90k trucks) while Tradesmans dominate the roads and there are only 102 on the list (I'd guess tradesman and laramies are their best sellers as that is pretty much all you'd see on the lots back when inventory was a thing

on ram's website, within a 250 mile radius of Dallas, there are 1400 HDs on their online inventory

Tradesman - 555
Big horn/Lone Star - 209
Laramie - 499
Powerwagon -43
Limited - 22
Limited Longhorn -72

the most expensive trucks represent less than 7% of inventory but they represent over 30% of online users...cheapest trim is 40% of inventory but tradesman owners are less than 10% of vehicles being tracked

Tahoes are similar...

View attachment 372386

you think the majority pay cash for these SUVs and I simply think that they don't - not saying they finance the whole thing, but they have a car loan of 5-8yrs where they are paying $400-600/mo - we each have our opinion.

I'll agree that anyone buying a $90 -120k vehicle may very well pay cash, but those aren't the majority of these vehicles going up and down the road. Unicorns of the road
I'm in agreement. I think the majority of people purchasing these vehicles are doing so with credit.

I think within 6 months it'll be clear. Demand will decrease due to the economy and supply will increase due not only the supply chain improving, but the introduction of 2 more competitors to the Ford Expedition and GM full size SUVs.