XM radio question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bad bow tie

Grizz Straight FTMFW
Reaction score
Got a question for you fellas about a simple hook up of XM radio. I have XM in my truck now. It has a Fm transmitter hot wired into the system so I get zero static. I want to take out the reciever and cradle and put it in my dad's Suburban because I am going on a LONG road trip (30 hours) I will buy a new antenna and a power pack to hook into the cigarette lighter. Then I will use a tape adapter to put in the stock cassette player (my dad is too cheap to buy a deck) My question is how good of quality will this be? We'll hit the mountains and be going through North Dakota and other rual places where the radio stations will probably be few. ( I don't know, never been there) So the antenna will be attached to the roof, the sound will come out of the casette player, and the reciever will be powered via a power supply hooked into the cigarette lighter. I'm assuming quality will be decent since it won't be running off fm channels. But before I buy all this crap and hook it up only to find it won't work as well as I once thought, I would like to hear your input. What kind of sound quality will this yield? We will have seven iPods in the truck, but jockeying the iPod gets boring after a while. That's why I want to take the XM along for the ride, endless music.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't have any problems. The sound quality won't be much different than using an FM mod. Make sure the sat ant is mounted on top of the truck so you get the best line of sight from the satellites, especially between mountains and thick wooded areas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019