WWYD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

36_chambers

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I'm a new member and the owner of a 01 yukon SLT, I bought it for a pretty cheap price at over 225k miles, engine sounds great but I've been running into a bunch of problems the most critical ones have since been fixed. I like the truck but I'm not sure if it would be worth putting more money into...for example I need a new starter, I need new speakers and would like to modernize the dashboard a bit...would it be worth the money I'd put into it for the miles it already has?

Thanks for reading and for any insight anyone might be able to give

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on the condition of the vehicle and how it was serviced. Do you know? How does it look? My experience is trucks that look pretty clean are usually serviced regularly mechanically.

Those are pretty minor details. Obviously, the starter needs to be replaced if you want to drive it. Probably should focus on replacing fluids like power steering, brake fluid and transmission fluid unless you have the service history.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I'm a new member and the owner of a 01 yukon SLT, I bought it for a pretty cheap price at over 225k miles, engine sounds great but I've been running into a bunch of problems the most critical ones have since been fixed. I like the truck but I'm not sure if it would be worth putting more money into...for example I need a new starter, I need new speakers and would like to modernize the dashboard a bit...would it be worth the money I'd put into it for the miles it already has?

Did you buy it for it to be a daily driver?
How long do you plan to keep it?
Is the yukon your only vehicle?

With all that in mind, a vehicle with that many miles will need alot of maintenance and repairs.

No matter how many new parts you replace its still not going to be worth any more than what you bought it for.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and post some pics and did you get maintenance and repair records?

slypher25aussie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With proper maintenance, these trucks will carry you well past 250k. The starter is pretty easy to replace yourself if you're mechanically inclined. There are tons of options for updating the radio to something more modern, and speakers are an easy drop in replacement.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
225k isn't bad - these are very reliable vehicles. I've got two GMT800s over 300k right now, neither had been cared for particularly well. I've got one at 265k and gaining - has taken a lot of work recently, but due to new parts failure; not old age.

I like these vehicles and keeping them on the road is a lot cheaper than a new vehicle payment to me. I would sink the money in a heartbeat (and have).

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Think of the truck as a platform or a truck or tank or fighter jet. As long as the frame and body are good, engines, axles, seats can come and go and get replaced to keep it a reliable first line vehicle. The question you have ask yourself is, do you want to drive around in a sherman tank or an M1 Abrams? Is driving the old truck without all the latest and greatest engine and creature comforts ok with you or would you rather get 25 mpg and cooled seats and have the car drive itself? Get the ideas there?

Money and the value mean little with something that old. You could drop $20K into a truck with good bones and drive it for a decade or more every day. Even with little repairs here and there you'd be ahead of the game to my way of thinking.

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2001 w 170K. Here’s my recommendation - you have to change all the fluids (sounds like you have) plus make sure you have good brakes. And it’s cheap insurance to have relatively new battery, less than 36 months. After this, tires are a big purchase; $600-$1200 but it you need them you gotta’ get them. New $600 tires are a world better/safer than bald Michelins.

And a splurge, those old paper cone speakers, yep - for $350 you can have 4 new door speakers and an 8” subwoofer (4” max depth). This will make driving the car much more enjoyable and it’s an easy DIY (I used Polk and have a thread on it).

After that, you have to pace yourself because No matter how much you put into it, it’s really difficult to make these GMT800 SUVs worth more than $4000- 6000. I dealer recently offered me $965 for mine on trade for DW’s new Acura, and told me the same - no matter what I’d done to it over the years really didn’t matter. I turned that offer down (of course) but was interesting discussion. So I keep myself on an annual budget of $1000-3000. I’ve got my projects mapped out. I’d like to replace coils, plugs and wires, rear shocks, and O2 sensors … but I’ve already completed this year’s projects (water pump, radiator and front shocks). So ignition, O2 sensors and rear shocks gonna’ have to wait. If you hold yourself to an annual budget - you’ll have a really good driver for $100-200 bucks a month that you don’t have to spend until you decide to spend it. That’s the beauty of these trucks. At any given time you can drop a few grand in and fell good that you’ll eventually be able to drive your money’s worth out of it …. But you can probably hold off spending anything once you get a few basics taken care of. This is the approach that works for me. Three years ago I wanted to out a new head unit in , but I had to get a new AC instead… so I put it off. Hope my input helps you manage your truck. Enjoy the ride and see you out there!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz