worn out shock bushing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08z71tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
problem with rear shock... help?

so the bushing on one of my rear shocks is worn out and looks like i have to replace the entire shock... its inexpensive, but i'd prefer to just replace the bad bushing...

anybody know when i can get just a rear bushing for a factory z71 2wd shock?

OP
OP
08z71tahoe

08z71tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the bushing on one of my rear shocks is worn out and looks like i have to replace the entire shock... its inexpensive, but i'd prefer to just replace the bad bushing...

anybody know when i can get just a rear bushing for a factory z71 2wd shock?

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are they not pressed in?

Why bother?

If the outside bushing went South, chances are the shock internals may be headed too.

Just replace the shock and keep it moving.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, you are still running the factory shock with that much lift. How many miles with that shock? IMO replace that shock with one that can accomodate the lift and also I would think it would be close to being replaced any way.

If you are thinking about replacing the bushing, do you have a press to remove/install? It would be PITA to do so without one.

OP
OP
08z71tahoe

08z71tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ZED - the lift kit actually comes with shock extensions, and i love the fact that it retains as much of the factory z71 suspension as possible...

I dont have a press and the shocks really aren't expensive, just feels strange to replace an entire shock because a tiny piece of rubber is wearing out... Just thought i might ask what everyone thought.

btw, my truck is almost 5 years old and only has 65k miles on it... seems a little early to have to replace a shock.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ZED - the lift kit actually comes with shock extensions, and i love the fact that it retains as much of the factory z71 suspension as possible...

I dont have a press and the shocks really aren't expensive, just feels strange to replace an entire shock because a tiny piece of rubber is wearing out... Just thought i might ask what everyone thought.

btw, my truck is almost 5 years old and only has 65k miles on it... seems a little early to have to replace a shock.

Yeah replacing a shock because of a worn bushing is overkill. However, the bushing should have lasted also. Not sure how the geometry changed with the suspension lift, but it might have put additional stress on the bushing and the shock (also from larger/heavier tires/wheels). IMO the stock Z71 are better than the base shocks, but were not that good offroad. Mine were leaking at ~50k.

OP
OP
08z71tahoe

08z71tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so we put it up on a rack and the bushing was fine... the top of the shock was loose, tightened it up and i was good to go.

I wouldn't want to swap out the suspension system that i paid an extra 1k for... this lift kit is basically just spacers and extensions in the rear & spacer and new a-arms up front. it rides exactly how it did before the lift, but the steering is a little tighter. and i expect the steering to be a little off in any lifter truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullyfiberchick