Wiring head unit...no juice. Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BugginOut

Reaction score
Grabbed up a new Kenwood double din from Crutchfield. Previous owner had a cheesy head unit installed, but lost steering wheel controls. So I bought the kit to make it all work again.

Spent the evening wiring and soldering all the connections... "interesting" trying to combine three sets of instructions. A). Stereo B). SW interface C). Crutchfield master list.

Odd thing is that the SW interface seems to have an extra harness. I cross referenced to make sure they didn't send me the wrong one. It's right. But I have a harness that doesn't seem to plug into anything.

Well, 10:30 last night I finally got it all wrapped up, plugged it all in...and you would never guess....no juice. I think I have an idea where the problem is. But I think Crutchfield needs to get a better understanding of what the hell plug and play means.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there's also several versions of the stereos for gm vehicles. some kits are correct for both versions some are not. i believe some require you to find your own ground and others have something to do with the bcm running through them. if your vehicle has a kit capable of multiple sound systems you will end up with an extra plug. some extra plugs would tie into external multi disc changers or the factory onstar system. i think there would also be an extra plug if it was a bose system. the systems where the bcm ties into the radio if you dont have the correct inline adapter "box" it won't work. ontop of that like in my 07 Pontiac needed the extra box for the hu to work it was also tied into the chimes which normally went through the radio. ended up on mine the chimes still worked as intended so i had to remove the chime speaker on the adapter box so i didn't have double chimes.