Windshield Washer Reservoir Leaks, Ugh!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darrinf15e

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tis the season for the weather to be STUPID COLD for the next 6 months here in the frozen tundra known as Minot, ND. A nice 11F today and winter doesn't start for another couple of weeks.

However, my 06 Denali has other plans for enduring the cold weather, I recently discovered a leak in the washer reservoir tank. I am unable to see where it is coming from, but my guess is that the tank is cracked or the rear window washer pump is out of place.

I picked up a replacement tank from the stealership after they quoted me $200 plus parts to R&R the tank.

How difficult is it to replace or remove to check for damage or an out of place pump?

Indicator works and front washer works, but if more than a thimble full of washer fluid is put in the tank it winds up on the ground leaving only one shot to clean the front windshield.

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WHAT :wtf:. I bought one at Auto Zone for like $30.
Anyway, it's not so much hard to replace as a pain due to where it is located. If I remember right you have to remove the battery and all that. There is probably a guide floating around the net somewhere.

Edit: Here you go. http://www.ehow.com/how_5189121_change-tahoe-washer-fluid-tank.html
Not sure if I did it wrong, but I had a heck of a time getting the pumps back in. One of them is actually still loose and it leaks, but since I never use the thing I don't really mind. Good luck.

Last edited:

bkboatnsleds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah - its not "hard" but its a pain in the ass. battery has to come out - battery tray has to come out... and some bolts in the fender / wheel well come out. No great way to see where it leaks w/o taking it out! the pumps have about 2 inches of extra wire on them sit tough to plug them... Good luck. P.s. autozeone has pumps too.. I got a jug from a dealer i know it was under $50.00

04gibbstahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. Not "hard" just a pain. For $200 I would definitely do it myself.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While you are at it, if your rear window wiper jumps whenever you turn on your fog lights, then I'd do the rear wiper squirter ground mod while you have the resevoir out! If you have that problem, let me know and I will look for that thread for you!! I did it to my truck and it worked great and solved that problem!

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man, I appreciate it!! It usually takes me a bit to find that thread for some reason and was gonna start looking for it this morning, but now I don't have too!! :Handshake:
Also, if you do this mod while you are replacing the reservoir Darrin, be sure to find the correct pump (rear wiper) to do the mod on, they are both there in the same spot if I remember right! And if you get lost on what to do for the mod, read Eagles response to it, post #12!

03YukonNH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tis the season for the weather to be STUPID COLD for the next 6 months here in the frozen tundra known as Minot, ND. A nice 11F today and winter doesn't start for another couple of weeks.

However, my 06 Denali has other plans for enduring the cold weather, I recently discovered a leak in the washer reservoir tank. I am unable to see where it is coming from, but my guess is that the tank is cracked or the rear window washer pump is out of place.

I picked up a replacement tank from the stealership after they quoted me $200 plus parts to R&R the tank.

How difficult is it to replace or remove to check for damage or an out of place pump?

Indicator works and front washer works, but if more than a thimble full of washer fluid is put in the tank it winds up on the ground leaving only one shot to clean the front windshield.

Did you get a chance to check where the leak is actually coming from? I had a large leak coming from the washer resevoir when I first bought my Yukon and it was NOT the tank. I had to replace both washer fluid pumps (front and rear) The housings develop cracks. They are something like $20-30 if I remember correctly.

jutte73

Reaction score
had this problem too battery acid dripped down and ate up both my pumps, have the new pump and bottle ready to go back in but the plastic lines where dry rotted and shattered as soon as i touched them, anyone found where to get these replaced or did you just use rubber hose if you did replace them? thinking about just going that route

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts