who calls it a rig and why? why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
Survey says... do you refer to your massive, glorius SUV as a truck, SUV or.... rig? (Yes, my SUV is massive and glorius).
If rig, why? Sonny Pruitt drove a "rig". The M-88 recovery vehicle (armored Cav Hoo-Rah) was a "rig", a hook and ladder unit is a "rig", etc.
Call me ignant' but what's up with the "rig" referral with SUV's?
Sorry, it's one that's been burnin for some time now. I've got three flavors of radio antennas (Ham, CB and GMRS) coming off my Tahoe and I can't bring myself to refer to it as a "rig". Just saying.
As always, your mileage may vary.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was mechanized infantry and a bradley crewmember in the 1st cav and we never referred to the m-88 as a rig it was simply referred to as The 88
and we say HOOAH! in the army were the cavalry began
the only time ive ever heard it referred to as a rig is usually by truckers describing there vehicle to a non trucker educated person but after having several truckers in the family i learned the correct term for a "big rig" is tractor

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I call our SUVs an SUV. I hear truck a lot which is a minor pet peeve of mine because even if our full size SUVs are on a truck frame they aren't really trucks IMO I've heard the term "rig" as well but that doesn't bother me as much for whatever reason lol

OP
OP
iLikeEggs

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
A
i was mechanized infantry and a bradley crewmember in the 1st cav and we never referred to the m-88 as a rig it was simply referred to as The 88
and we say HOOAH! in the army were the cavalry began
the only time ive ever heard it referred to as a rig is usually by truckers describing there vehicle to a non trucker educated person but after having several truckers in the family i learned the correct term for a "big rig" is tractor
Ah yes, the Bradley fighting vehicle. Good times. I was a gunner on one back in Ft Hood. After that I was in charge of the 577, thus my affinity for massive amounts of antennas on any given vehicle I own.
The 88 was quite the brute. I had one pull my stuck 113 through a berm to get me out of a pond when I was in Germany. I had to cough up a case of beer to avoid the shaming. Lol.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes i was in Alpha company 1-8cav at FT hood (the greatest place on earth) i was in OIF 06-08 at FOB Rustimiyah spitting distance from the infamous Sadr City
i started as a bradley driver for then gunner for a bit and before i knew it i was gettin pinned and told i was now BC for our 12 track
i was pretty good at hiding it but inside i was scared s**tless

how did you manage to drive a 113 into a pond if my driver did a dumb stunt like that id smoke him till end of time

OP
OP
iLikeEggs

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
yes i was in Alpha company 1-8cav at FT hood (the greatest place on earth) i was in OIF 06-08 at FOB Rustimiyah spitting distance from the infamous Sadr City
i started as a bradley driver for then gunner for a bit and before i knew it i was gettin pinned and told i was now BC for our 12 track
i was pretty good at hiding it but inside i was scared s**tless

how did you manage to drive a 113 into a pond if my driver did a dumb stunt like that id smoke him till end of time

My first Reforger..1984. My platoon leader was TC'ing and wanted to get to the CO fast. He decided to have us go through a swampy area. So far, so good. I was was good driver and he was getting cocky. He suggests going through a pond instead of going around it. I suggested that it wasn't a good idea and then he adds the tag line..thats an order. Yes Sir! Off we go. The pond is two feet of water on top of six feet of mud and silt. Almost all the way through we hit something submerged and the 113 tilts over and gets mired. The Lt grabs the PRC77, hops on t th berm, says thanks for the ride and starts trekking off. Lol, best times of my life! C-trp 1/2 ACR. Scouts out!

OP
OP
iLikeEggs

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
I call our SUVs an SUV. I hear truck a lot which is a minor pet peeve of mine because even if our full size SUVs are on a truck frame they aren't really trucks IMO I've heard the term "rig" as well but that doesn't bother me as much for whatever reason lol

It's ultimately to each his own. Someone had to ask though, lol.
I would give the term "truck" a pass though. When you have something that can pull 8800lbs, while its definitely no Kenworth it's definitely not a crossover.

PinkAle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well as someone who drives tractor trailer I don't care what you call the suv. A truck, A rig, A Denali, A Hoe it's all good just don't call it a tractor trailer.

Deephaven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I call mine the big ugly....because it is big and ugly. It isn't a truck, it's not a rig, and normally some ****** driving soccer mom ***** has one but mine is fast and nasty unlike the stock that ***** drives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz