Where are solid jackpoints on a 2004 Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vincent Mitchell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can anyone here point me to a resource for or pictures of the subject item. I need to know where to safely lift and also place jack stands. I only plan to lift either the front or the back at any given time and put jack stands under so I can do maintence.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can always lift at the frame or crossmembers. You can also go under the rear differential or the front differential to jack up as well. I would never lift at the body but some will say that lifting at the pinch point seams is strong enough but I have seen them collapse and bend.

Or get a good sturdy set of ramps and drive up on them.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the entire back of my truck up on jack stands a few times over the past week. I put the jack on the main frame on one side, and once lifted, I put the jack stand under the frame, right next to the jack. I then proceeded to the other side of the truck and repeated.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Please bear in mind that depending on how high up you are jacking for the height of where you want the top of the jack stand, when you drop rig to that stand, you should always have a block in front of both tires at the other end of the rig. If you have no block at the front, let's say, and the jack stand is high enough, that rig can shift on the frame and jack stand touch point and shift and be very very dangerous. The steeper the angle the more chance of that happening. Even if you are jacking the front and the trans is in park and the park brake set, I would still block that set of tires. Even if you block a front or rear axle, if the angle is steep enough, the pressure can spit the jack stand out from under it even if the rig does not roll forward or backward. When I wanted to go real high, I would set stands at both ends and go up in increments. Sucks compared to two post 4 contact lift or my favorite, a drive on rack with air jacks under it that can lift the rig at either or both ends and elevate the tires from the drive on ramps/rails.

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please bear in mind that depending on how high up you are jacking for the height of where you want the top of the jack stand, when you drop rig to that stand, you should always have a block in front of both tires at the other end of the rig. If you have no block at the front, let's say, and the jack stand is high enough, that rig can shift on the frame and jack stand touch point and shift and be very very dangerous. The steeper the angle the more chance of that happening. Even if you are jacking the front and the trans is in park and the park brake set, I would still block that set of tires. Even if you block a front or rear axle, if the angle is steep enough, the pressure can spit the jack stand out from under it even if the rig does not roll forward or backward. When I wanted to go real high, I would set stands at both ends and go up in increments. Sucks compared two post 4 contact lift or my favorite, a drive on rack with air jacks under it that can lift the rig at either or both ends and elevate the tires from the drive on ramps/rails.
Absolutely correct on the requirement for wheel blocks. I use them EVERY time that I jack up the truck off the ground.

Just remember to remove them, when the project is complete, as it is hard to drive over them (I occasionally forget, and wonder the the truck won't move :banghead: ).

OP
OP
V

Vincent Mitchell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the good comments. I have solid wheel chocks and I am familiar with the safety requirements. I was just looking for good advice about jack points. All good advice. Thanks to everyone who responded!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518