What's a good year? Or one to avoid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am still learning, so I'll ask...
You mentioned your Z71 had hydroboost brakes. Did all Z71 have hydroboost system or just some?
Still not sure if every Z71 automatically included this or not, but I looked at my RPO sticker and found my Z71 did come with Hydroboost from the factory.

"JH2 BRAKE - HYD POWER, DISC/DISC, 7,200 LBS" was listed on the sticker inside the glove box.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My 05 Z71 has hydroboost brakes and am glad it does. Way better feel. I have a friend with 05 LS and she has hydroboost too.

davidbeaver1

Reaction score
I had an 01 Yukon XL we purchased with 70K and drove it to 330K, both my boys learned how to drive in it and we took many trips across the country in it. I then used it as my pickup truck until we sold it to a neighbor who is still using it today. We never replaced the transmission, but did replace the transfer case once, a bearing went bad on the inside and beat a hole in the side of the case allowing all of the oil to leak out. Other than that, there was general maintenance along the way and front and rear main seals as well. It was a beast and we loved it.
I now have an 05 Tahoe that is my daily driver with 154k on it and going strong. When I purchased it, I put around $2K in it doing a lot of what everyone else on here has said, I did new brakes and calipers, upgraded the fronts to the GMT900's, new pulleys and belt, some AC repairs including a couple actuators in the front and back, new shocks, new hoses, new steering wheel buttons (just to get the backlights working), new radio face, new driver seat bottom, WeatherTech floor mats, paint correction, painted the dash, etc. But now I have a very nice daily driver that should be good to go for another 150K, and all less than $10K. I don't think there is a better SUV value out there because they will run forever and parts are cheap...
I agree, the older ones are less electronic, but are getting harder to find a lower mileage one. I personally like the 05-06 models because they had conveniences like steering wheel controls, triple climate controls, heated seat backs, turn signals in the side view mirrors, adjustable pedals, etc.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My 05 just turned 140k miles 200 miles ago. Still idles at 40 psi oil pressure. Runs strong with absolutely no quirks. I have done so many stock upgrades to make it the most dependable 05 on the road and can be seen in my build thread. I will be putting close to 4k miles on it in the next month or so. I anticipate absolutely no problems between here in Oregon, down to Paradise, Ca. and back here and then to Warrensburg, Mo. and the to Fort Worth, Tx. and then back to Oregon. I plan to keep a log of fuel mileage the whole way and will report what grade fuel I use along the way and anything else I think should be shared here.

Logan5

Reaction score
I look for 05-06 when I go browsing. My 05 Tahoe is almost at 200k now and I am going NY -> CA and back next month. I'm not expecting any troubles (excepting maybe gas riots).
I've been doing regular upgrades and maintenance on the truck as well (recently got a new tranny) and I am confident nothing will happen, but, I also don't want to jinx myself so every state I pass through I stop and sacrifice a chicken to the voodoo car gods. (at KFC)

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an 01 Yukon XL we purchased with 70K and drove it to 330K, both my boys learned how to drive in it and we took many trips across the country in it. I then used it as my pickup truck until we sold it to a neighbor who is still using it today. We never replaced the transmission, but did replace the transfer case once, a bearing went bad on the inside and beat a hole in the side of the case allowing all of the oil to leak out. Other than that, there was general maintenance along the way and front and rear main seals as well. It was a beast and we loved it.
I now have an 05 Tahoe that is my daily driver with 154k on it and going strong. When I purchased it, I put around $2K in it doing a lot of what everyone else on here has said, I did new brakes and calipers, upgraded the fronts to the GMT900's, new pulleys and belt, some AC repairs including a couple actuators in the front and back, new shocks, new hoses, new steering wheel buttons (just to get the backlights working), new radio face, new driver seat bottom, WeatherTech floor mats, paint correction, painted the dash, etc. But now I have a very nice daily driver that should be good to go for another 150K, and all less than $10K. I don't think there is a better SUV value out there because they will run forever and parts are cheap...
I agree, the older ones are less electronic, but are getting harder to find a lower mileage one. I personally like the 05-06 models because they had conveniences like steering wheel controls, triple climate controls, heated seat backs, turn signals in the side view mirrors, adjustable pedals, etc.
Search for these options may not need to be limited to looking for 05-06...

My 04 Z71 has all of those options mentioned, and everything else, except heated seats!
That is the one thing I seem to be missing.

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Suggest the newer models with electric fans
Why? Those fans electric fans will not outlast a hydraulic fan clutch.

As other said, look for Hydro boost brakes. I don't have it and mine were down right scary until i upgraded to NNBS brakes. Also steering wheel radio controls were only available 03-06. If younused them before, you don't realize how nice it is to have them until you drive one without...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamThatRiver24