What to do/buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Usdmskyline20

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Ok so here goes, I was picking my 2020 Escalade up yesterday from a Chevy dealer for an oil change and alignment (good friend works in service). While there I saw a new Suburban and checked it out and I love the space,honestly my wife and I regret not getting an ESV.

I leased my vehicle and currently still have 2 years left on the lease. The offered me roughly 10k less than what my lease buy out is so I walked. This morning Massey Cadillac calls me and says they can see I called for a payoff and wants to know if I want to sell it. I went there and met with the sales guy who basically made me the same offer as Chevy so again I walked. Before I could turn out of the parking lot their GM calls and asks what I want and I told him basically to break even. He said that they can't do that but would give me $2k less than what I owe. I think its fair since this allows me to get out of this Escalade and into something with more room.

What scares me is all the issues I'm reading about with the 2021 year line up. I would not be leasing the next vehicle and spending $70-$80k and have a vehicle sitting at the dealer for repairs or waiting for parts doesn't seem fair.

Sorry for the long post just not sure what direction to go here..

Thanks,

Sean

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was a Diesel, I would do it.

My brother just got a call from his local Dodge dealer. They are offering him 10k more than what he paid for his Ram, 2 years ago!. This market is CRAZY!

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly if you want to part ways with that ride, look to sell 3rd party. I believe Vroom and Carvana offer good $$ for cars. I believe lease's as well. Ive heard and read even Carmax may be a better option.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Consider that you never hear from happy people about their cars. Chev gmc and cadi made millions of these trucks and there might be thousands of complaints but not every veh has problems.
I had a 2019 burb premier on lease. 25k on the clock of a two year lease. Broke even on the upgrade

SAdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As an owner and someone who knows other owners, I believe most people are happy with their 21s. It's been as reliable as any vehicle I've ever owned at the current mileage and a much better experience to drive than anything I've owned. Don't hesitate to get one and don't let the online complaints scare you, you will find that with any vehicle.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The biggest complaints have been about lifter failures, lots of threads here about that, and they have narrowed down the rig built time frame for the largest majority of those lifter problems.

OP
OP
Usdmskyline20

Usdmskyline20

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I sold the Cadillac back to the dealer last night.

Talking with my friend who works in Chevy service he says they have worked in about 50 vehicles with the lifter issue. Mainly fleet vehicles that were purchased in the beginning. I asked if the AFM was the cause and he said yes.
Im looking at build dates after June which shouldn’t have AFM. Im curious to know if anyone whose truck doesn’t have AFM has had a lifter issue.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good question. IMO even if it was the DFM for the ones build w/o it it’s too early to tell. This issue seems to happen after 2k or so but can happens at 5k, 8k…etc. I’ve seen posts here as early as 500mi…so who knows.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Ok so here goes, I was picking my 2020 Escalade up yesterday from a Chevy dealer for an oil change and alignment (good friend works in service). While there I saw a new Suburban and checked it out and I love the space,honestly my wife and I regret not getting an ESV.

I leased my vehicle and currently still have 2 years left on the lease. The offered me roughly 10k less than what my lease buy out is so I walked. This morning Massey Cadillac calls me and says they can see I called for a payoff and wants to know if I want to sell it. I went there and met with the sales guy who basically made me the same offer as Chevy so again I walked. Before I could turn out of the parking lot their GM calls and asks what I want and I told him basically to break even. He said that they can't do that but would give me $2k less than what I owe. I think its fair since this allows me to get out of this Escalade and into something with more room.

What scares me is all the issues I'm reading about with the 2021 year line up. I would not be leasing the next vehicle and spending $70-$80k and have a vehicle sitting at the dealer for repairs or waiting for parts doesn't seem fair.

Sorry for the long post just not sure what direction to go here..

Thanks,

Sean
Do the deal after verifying with the dealer that the ESV has had all TSBs considered or performed to your satisfaction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts