What model Transfer Case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R Black

Reaction score
What kind of New Process (NVG) Transfer case does the 2020 (2015-20?) Tahoe have when it's a 2 speed?
I didn't see a tag on the case at all and it's documented nowhere on the web. Is it a 263?

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of New Process (NVG) Transfer case does the 2020 (2015-20?) Tahoe have when it's a 2 speed?
I didn't see a tag on the case at all and it's documented nowhere on the web. Is it a 263?
I think their built by Magna Powertrain - MP

OP
OP
R Black

R Black

Reaction score
Holy!
Magna Powertrain?
Never heard of it.
I don't know how comfortable I am with a 4X that doesn't have a warm, fuzzy, familiar New Process transfer case.

Thanks for the info, though.

OP
OP
R Black

R Black

Reaction score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magna_Powertrain

New Process .. begat .. New Venture .. begat Magna Drivetrain. My guess is the unit in there is still basically a NP263 If that is what it started as ....or.... whatever is in there is likely fairly identical to an older NVG unit. They don't start from scratch just because of mergers and acquisitions. Eg. the 4L60E didn't fall to far from the proverbial THM400 tree etc., etc.

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magna_Powertrain

New Process .. begat .. New Venture .. begat Magna Drivetrain. My guess is the unit in there is still basically a NP263 If that is what it started as ....or.... whatever is in there is likely fairly identical to an older NVG unit. They don't start from scratch just because of mergers and acquisitions. Eg. the 4L60E didn't fall to far from the proverbial THM400 tree etc., etc.
https://gearsmagazine.com/magazine/magnas-mp-3010-transfer-case/

OP
OP
R Black

R Black

Reaction score
I did do some research. From what I could gather at first it appeared this particular 2020 Tahoe actually has the MP3024 transfer case. The chart I was looking at, though, omitted the 6L80 E trans as a possible combo and as it turns out my trans RPO is MYC which apparently means it's a 6L80 E, So I either have an MP 3023 or the heavier duty 3024. My guess is I wouldn't be so lucky to have the heavier unit, but it does have the max trailering option. I'll have to eyeball it and look for some I.D. . The old NP style round ID tags are no longer present.

For a truck in the neighborhood of 5400 lbs curb, with a 9.5" rear ...... it SHOULD by all rights have the 5 pinion case. If this thing really is 800lbs heavier than a 96 Tahoe it should have 3/4ton running gear. But....probably doesn't.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did do some research. From what I could gather at first it appeared this particular 2020 Tahoe actually has the MP3024 transfer case. The chart I was looking at, though, omitted the 6L80 E trans as a possible combo and as it turns out my trans RPO is MYC which apparently means it's a 6L80 E, So I either have an MP 3023 or the heavier duty 3024. My guess is I wouldn't be so lucky to have the heavier unit, but it does have the max trailering option. I'll have to eyeball it and look for some I.D. . The old NP style round ID tags are no longer present.

For a truck in the neighborhood of 5400 lbs curb, with a 9.5" rear ...... it SHOULD by all rights have the 5 pinion case. If this thing really is 800lbs heavier than a 96 Tahoe it should have 3/4ton running gear. But....probably doesn't.

That old chart is still not right, you and I and everyone else with a 1500 has the MP3023 if we're talking 2-speed transfer cases in the 900s and K2s.

OP
OP
R Black

R Black

Reaction score
That old chart is still not right, you and I and everyone else with a 1500 has the MP3023 if we're talking 2-speed transfer cases in the 900s and K2s.

Yeahhh that's what I figured. Simply because having the 3024 would be too good to be true.

At roughly 1100lbs heavier than my '90 K5 (V1500) by all rights it should have that heavier 3/4T case, but ....ofcourse.........NOT(!!)

Oh well, just hoping it measures up to the NP241c at the very least.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeahhh that's what I figured. Simply because having the 3024 would be too good to be true.

At roughly 1100lbs heavier than my '90 K5 (V1500) by all rights it should have that heavier 3/4T case, but ....ofcourse.........NOT(!!)

Oh well, just hoping it measures up to the NP241c at the very least.

We don't get many posts about problems with them, Jeep uses the same thing in their vehicles and those guys love them. No complaints with mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700