WHAT IF.. There was a gamefly/netflix version of Wheels and tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dialing in your wheel style and tire size can get rather expensive. I would be surprised if anyone has ever gotten it right the first time. Some times styles change. Some people use winter specific wheels and tires. Some times you regret buying those Big ass wheels or wheels that weren't big enough. Maybe you are going on a long road trip and would like to have a tire for winter weather conditions. Maybe a tire that gets better highway mileage, maybe something that's offroad because of this one time.

What if there was a gamefly/Netflix/ club member exchange style version of wheels and tires so you could try out different wheels, and tires to actually see what YOU like as opposed to just reading reviews or seeing pictures. Then spending several hundred (if you're lucky) on something used and could be $1-$2K or more for new.

In case anyone doesn't know, gamefly/ Netflix (dvd rental): is a "club" that you get sent your video game/ DVD / Wheel and tire combo. You watch it, play it, install and drive around with them for a while and then send them back.

This was just something that popped into my head, and not meant to be taken too seriously, but just thought I would try to discuss a little.

1. You would have to measure each tire's tread depth to see how much someone is using. (I would think a way to measure it evenly among all would have to be included in your membership).
2. You would have to take pictures/keep track of any curbage/damage to the wheels.
3. I'm thinking you would almost have to make this local to an area or shipping charges would make it cost ineffective.
4. Your biggest limitation I see is bolt pattern. You wouldn't do them all, but either just one or a few. (4 x 100, 5 x 5, 6 x 139.7/6 x 5.5, ….)

So Ideal conditions:
1. I would think a warmer climate, or everyone is going to want winter tires for half the year. Then you are doubling your inventory, and needing a massive warehouse when people want to swap out there summers and winters. Chrome will need cleaning
2. It really would need to be somewhere you can get the members. So I would think somewhere like Socal, Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, South Florida.
3. To keep it local, you would really want a business to do it professionally. A warehouse for all the wheels and tires, have a full time person to clean and repair. Depending on volume, possibly the same person doing wheel exchanges with at least two lifts on site (for exchanges between members directly). It would probably be best to do exchanges 1-3 days a week only. For liability purposes, you may or may not want to have members installing their own wheels, (torqueing correctly with proper inflation PSI, and safe tread depth. If you could make it so members drive in, and its a full service shop would be your best bet.
4. A website with a Que. Members can post up: experiences, deals, possible turn-ins, looking-fors, requests, coordinate exchanges, make appointments.
5. I would think if you could coordinate with a tire distributor for deals, or on used tires, that would really help bring the cost down.
6. I wouldn't expect people to do this for years and years. I would do either a 6 month membership or a slightly reduced 1 yr membership. With a little discount for members over a year, then possibly longer.

Sooo… Would you join? What would you pay? How often would you exchange? How long did it take you to get the wheels and tires you want? Did you ever regret buying a set of wheels or tires? How far would you be willing to drive (and how often?) ETC....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094