What exactly is my front struts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ukrkoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure, what exactly it is that I have for the front struts on my 07 LT.
I know I have air ride rear, I already had them replaced.
But what is it that I have for the front? Mine have something like sensors on the strut center rod. I unclamped it and it has like a tiny nipple in the center, that goes into the rod.
It's not air too, right?
Grey box with plug, fits right onto the strut center rod, has wire clip that holds it in place.
Also, anyone has correct PN for it?

Thank you

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The electrical connection that plugs into the top of the strut is part of the Z55 suspension, and if you look at the RPO codes on the inside of your glove box door, you should be able to find a 'Z55' code. There should be an electrical connection on all 4 shocks, if you have the Z55 suspension, and these electrical connections allows the truck's suspension control module to individually change the stiffness of each shock, as needed, to adapt to whatever road surface and truck movements are happening at the moment.

OP
OP
U

ukrkoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have air and sensors in the rear.
Anyone knows front strut for Z55 suspension part number?

Reaction score
Yes, I have air and sensors in the rear.
Anyone knows front strut for Z55 suspension part number?
Depends on your suspension codes. They should be listed near the bottom of the RPO sticker in the glove box. They're a "6**" and "7**" code

OP
OP
U

ukrkoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh boy... those are pricy shocks. And I am saying - shocks, not entire strut. Pretty much it's more feasible to buy quick struts with cancel plugs.

Reaction score
Oh boy... those are pricy shocks. And I am saying - shocks, not entire strut. Pretty much it's more feasible to buy quick struts with cancel plugs.
Yeah, if you go that route I've heard good things about the Arnott SK2954

It's a complete passive strut/spring assembly with a special resistor plug to keep any suspension errors from registering on the dash

OP
OP
U

ukrkoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what exactly are OEM struts, that they are electronically controlled? Pheomagnetic fluid inside or something? Or, have valves, operated by electronics to control oil flow?

Reaction score
From what I understand, the Z95 Magneride (Magnetic Ride) has the magnetic fluid and can be controlled by a selector switch (sport, touring, etc). The Z55 Autoride has an electronic valve inside controlled by the vehicles ecu that controls the fluid dampening

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne