What can cause a hot AC on an auction vehicle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Popopig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I drive a PPV for work and have for the past 6 years. Currently in a 2019 but I've driven (hard) many Tahoe PPVs in my career. Not a single one has had an issue with the AC.

Looking at buying a PPV from an auction for my father to replace his 98 Tahoe with 300k but the seller will not allow inspection due to covid. How major could an AC issue be on a 12 or 14 PPV? Any experience with this?

Possible it has just been sitting a while and needs an AC recharge?

Thanks in advance.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon. Likely has a leak and is low on refrigerant. May have a known condenser problem. Lots of threads here about that. The leak could be anywhere. May have just a pressure switch that has failed. Who knows?

Seller not allowing inspection because of China Virus is ********.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
If it needs a recharge it’s got a leak. It could be literally anything. When I bought mine it didn’t work and the seller tried to tell me he could get it repaired for $200. Which was bull crap because all that’ll pay for at shop rates is a can of stop leak and a recharge. Which I knew and took into consideration on pricing.

It cost me $1k to have the rear evaporator replaced.

IMO that’s a total BS excuse to blame covid for refusing inspections. Everyone in the world is getting business done somehow. I’d tell them CV is going to prevent me from giving them any money. I bought mine in 2020 and inspected four different vehicles and drove two of them before buying.

OP
OP
P

Popopig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. I am going to look into the condenser issues. Perhaps they are auctioning all these vehicles because they have AC issues. Regardless, used vehicle prices are through the roof so I'm not averse to having an AC job done if the price is right.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Afterthoughts.

1. I wish I had a son or daughter like you! I’m still on the supply side when it comes to family vehicles.

2. Thanks for doing what you do. There’s too many people that don’t appreciate what you do in today’s society.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Quality used rigs out there that are being lumped in with crap that is the same year. Pick carefully. I would not buy a rig that I could not inspect. There have been a few rigs on here that were not for me but maybe to buy and sell that were located in another state but even then I would wear the seller out with questions and supplying pics.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Literally could be any part of the system. Just know that simply recharging it is going to get you right back in the same spot, refrigerant doesn't burn off......so if it is low, it has a leak. With 15 years working on cars for a living, I can tell you that a leak can be one of the worst things to hunt down, but it could be a simple quick connect or an o-ring also. You just need to get it into someone's hands that knows what they are doing so they can hook some gauges up to it, shouldn't take long to figure out what the cause is.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A sure sign of a leak is when a/c oil leaks out and is wet and mixes with dirt at the leak area. Lots of o-ring leaks found that way.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

You are receiving lots of suggestions and perspectives from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drive a PPV for work and have for the past 6 years. Currently in a 2019 but I've driven (hard) many Tahoe PPVs in my career. Not a single one has had an issue with the AC.

Looking at buying a PPV from an auction for my father to replace his 98 Tahoe with 300k but the seller will not allow inspection due to covid. How major could an AC issue be on a 12 or 14 PPV? Any experience with this?

Possible it has just been sitting a while and needs an AC recharge?

Thanks in advance.

Out of curiosity are you in the New Jersey-NYC area?

Welcome from Miami Beach&NYC!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19

Latest posts