What are your must-do things on new-to-you gmt900?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Monz11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Be sure to change ALL cooling hoses, including the 2 plastic Tees near the fire wall on the passengers side, even if they look good.
I would suggest replacing the two plastic tees, with the aluminum ones, dangit the guy that's out of atlanta that machines parts, for the mirror gears, etc. those are definitely a lifesaver. If you're going as far as replacing all fluids and hose, you might as well pull engine, do cam, crank, bearings, rocker arms, etc. its so worth it, then hoses, fluids. Also, Atomic Fab & performance has by far the best engine mounts out there.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would suggest replacing the two plastic tees, with the aluminum ones, dangit the guy that's out of atlanta that machines parts, for the mirror gears, etc. those are definitely a lifesaver. If you're going as far as replacing all fluids and hose, you might as well pull engine, do cam, crank, bearings, rocker arms, etc. its so worth it, then hoses, fluids. Also, Atomic Fab & performance has by far the best engine mounts out there.
Gruven Parts. I took the Gruven tees *out* of my 2012. I couldn't get them to seal up and stay that way through the season changes. As soon as fall rolled around, I'd have leaks. Tightening the clamps would work for a while and then pretty soon...drip...drip...drip. Ended up just going back to the OEM plastic tees. Didn't have the same problem on my '07 so the Gruven teens are still there and doing fine. The problem is that they supply nice silicone hoses to mount them with, but worm drive clamps designed for *rubber* hose. I should have used spring clamps and I probably would have been fine, but oh well. Just wanted to let folks who might read this know that if they install the Gruven tees, use spring clamps.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the GruvenParts.com Ts and mirror gears 3+ yrs ago. PITA to install, but haven't had to touch'em since.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem is that they supply nice silicone hoses to mount them with, but worm drive clamps designed for *rubber* hose. I should have used spring clamps and I probably would have been fine, but oh well. Just wanted to let folks who might read this know that if they install the Gruven tees, use spring clamps.
You might even go as far as to say that they would be better off using spring clamps on their hoses regardless if they are rubber or not. Worm drive work themselves loose over time, even if you tape or wrap silicone wrap them.

Did you use a heat gun on your silicone hoses to soften them up prior to install in order to get a better fit/tighter seal?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might even go as far as to say that they would be better off using spring clamps on their hoses regardless if they are rubber or not. Worm drive work themselves loose over time, even if you tape or wrap silicone wrap them.

Did you use a heat gun on your silicone hoses to soften them up prior to install in order to get a better fit/tighter seal?
No, I didn’t. Might’ve helped. And I agree with your spring clamp suggestion.