what are the differences between a ppv/ssv and regular Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ron, a DIC is a driver information center , It can display a lot of info about your car. the police/ govt vehicles don't have them but the wiring harness is right behind the panel. switch is like 20 bucks and you will have to modify the dash trim.

That thing is your airbag sensor.

looks like you have the wing nut for the jack, and a piece of seat closeout trim

Ron lets see some pictures of the outside.

Alright, I might need to take a few more, this week/weekend.

- outside look
- tires
- cargo area

IMG_0679.JPG IMG_0680.JPG IMG_0685.JPG

Maks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looks great. Looking forward to getting one myself.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ron that's a nice one I like them off road tires.

Start modding !!!!

Oh I will, it's going to be my road-trip and weekend 'truck' .. so console first, than probably the stuff I take on trips. I looked at some youtube videos for upgrading the regular AM/FM radio with one that also has GPS in it. It seems that it can be done fairly easy.

jmm121783

Searching for the next sunset...
Reaction score
yea looks a a CBP truck, any stickers or info on it? The tires are a huge plus! shouldnt be too noisy either since they arent cheap

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea looks a a CBP truck, any stickers or info on it? The tires are a huge plus! shouldnt be too noisy either since they arent cheap

CBP as in Customs and Border Patrol? I don't know, unlikely probably, since it was from UT, I was told. Yeah the tires are nice, a little noisy, but I am used to 33" Super Swampers on a CJ.. compared to that they're quiet. No stickers on the vehicle, was thoroughly cleaned. I found some printed emails in the glovebox though that confirm the UT thing. I like the tires, once I need new ones, I might get the same ones.

Ron

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are those Work Truck (W/T) wheels, or silver-painted PPV wheels? If they're W/T wheels, they'll be about 2/3 the weight of a PPV wheel. Not as heavy duty, but the lower mass will help mileage some.

Check the driver's side door jambfor old stickers. Some departments will attach an asset tag there. Our 92 B4C 1LE Camaro has a Tx DPS asset tag epoxied to the driver's side door jam just above the latch stud. IIRC, our 95 9C1 had a bar code label from the department that used it. I have not found such a tag on either our PPV or 9C1, though. They probably just scan the VIN, and use that, but you never know.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are those Work Truck (W/T) wheels, or silver-painted PPV wheels? If they're W/T wheels, they'll be about 2/3 the weight of a PPV wheel. Not as heavy duty, but the lower mass will help mileage some.

Check the driver's side door jambfor old stickers. Some departments will attach an asset tag there. Our 92 B4C 1LE Camaro has a Tx DPS asset tag epoxied to the driver's side door jam just above the latch stud. IIRC, our 95 9C1 had a bar code label from the department that used it. I have not found such a tag on either our PPV or 9C1, though. They probably just scan the VIN, and use that, but you never know.

They are steel wheels, painted gray/silver-ish. I am not too worried about them being heavy duty for now. I bought this vehicle for it's "cargo space" and tow capacity, I am not that worried about the mileage. (besides that, I have an 06 with a 3.7L V6, and that engine has the same fuel consumption specs as the 5.3L V8 (plus a lot more horses and torque) I think that's just amazing. Maybe when it needs new rubber, I look for something nicer. (However I think these steel gray/silver-ish wheels look fairly good already)

I saw some sort of sticker there, the shape of the great state of TX, but didn't take a closer look, since the vehicle was from UT. (the production plant code is from TX though)

Ron

jmm121783

Searching for the next sunset...
Reaction score
Do you have a part number for the WorkTruck Wheels? I assume they are forged which is why they would be lighter? I would always go with a lighter rim no matter WHAT my car/truck was meant for. Reducing rotational mass is 10x as affected as reducing dead weight. So if those rims truly are 2/3rds the weight of the steelies I really need to get some.

10lbs rotational = 100lbs dead weight

As mentioned above you will see much better MPG, but more importantly to me is the power and a LOT less stress on any suspension/drivetrain parts! When it comes to towing that would be more available torque and HP!!

Work Truck wheel GM part # please and/or some pics??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davekalk