Well Hell Just Froze Over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chevys don't have engines that sludge up even with proper maintenance.

Um... actually mine was. If Dexcool slowly mixes with oil, the buffer additives can cause the oil to sludge. As soon as i fixed my cracked head, my oil did not sludge up anymore.

But I know what you are saying.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't overestimate the stupidity of the human race.
Someone will buy it.
For full asking price.
It'll break.
They'll take it back to the dealer and argue.
Dealer will convince said moron to pay for repairs.
Dealer makes $7k off a $500 ride in the first 6 months.

Dealers are not stupid. They know people.

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um... actually mine was. If Dexcool slowly mixes with oil, the buffer additives can cause the oil to sludge. As soon as i fixed my cracked head, my oil did not sludge up anymore.

But I know what you are saying.

Yeah, but the V-6 in Lexus and Toyota high end cars had small ports in the piston to reduce emissions. These would plug up and sludge the engine to the point it looked like black pudding.

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad would do that with his Buick Lucerne. Thing sounded very good.

You can't do it on catalyst cars but I had a little trick with skeeter beaters that had good compression when I ran a shop at the salvage yard. When they'd smoke from blow by, the rings might still have life but there's would be a glaze on the cylinder. I'd head out to the country and remove the air filter. Start the engine and by hand, run the throttle to about 80-90% of full throttle. Shake a can of Bon Ami cleanser into the carburetor. It would blow a huge cloud of white powder out the tail pipe. About 1/2 the time, it would quit smoking. If not, we'd either junk the car or replace the engine. This was on our cars, not customers. I told people what I did if they bought the car but nobody ever complained.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but the V-6 in Lexus and Toyota high end cars had small ports in the piston to reduce emissions. These would plug up and sludge the engine to the point it looked like black pudding.

I believe GM had trouble with small parts on the lifters or something like that. Not that that led to sludge in GMs, but it did lead to lifter failure. Ford's had issues with oil ports plugging up in the cam phasers. All these issues seem to be mitigated if synthetic oil is used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihtblzr