Weird Transmission Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2007. So I'm guessing they put a newer transmission in it?
Sounds like it...Contact gm dsalership and ask for Parts. Give your vin number, last 8 digits and see if they have an internal mode switch or manual lever position switch listed as being available for your vehicle. Its one or the other, not both. If yours takes a MLPS, it also takes a pressure switch manifold assembly.

I have never seen an 07 with an IMS before.

OP
OP
C

ceejay1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like it...Contact gm dsalership and ask for Parts. Give your vin number, last 8 digits and see if they have an internal mode switch or manual lever position switch listed as being available for your vehicle. Its one or the other, not both. If yours takes a MLPS, it also takes a pressure switch manifold assembly.

I have never seen an 07 with an IMS before.
I looked on the side of the transmission and it had code 11KPD. 2011?

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are my options here? I can't make this transmission work? Or do I absolutely have to swap it out?
You have one, maybe two options:

1). swap it for the correct year transmission for that vehicle. That's it.

The following changed in 2009:
- MLPS and Pressure switch manifold replaced with Internal Mode Switch
- 3-2 control solenoid deleted

Your computer's command and control are looking for the psm and the 3-2 control solenoid and are not seeing them. The IMS must be sending a correct P/N signal to the PCM otherwise you wouldnt even be able to start the truck.

Call the GM Dealership-Parts and see if they can assist you with transmissions that have a compatable set of 3-character ID codes, as shown on the ID tag, for your truck. This way you know exactly what to look for...

That's your best bet for now.

2). If you're up for it, remove the valve body, separator plate and anything else bolted to the underside of the case and take a VERY GOOD picture of the worm tracks. If they themselves are the same as all other years, then it may be possible to swap in a valve body, spacer plate, harness and full electrical package for a 2007/2008 model year unit.

But id call the dealer first.

OP
OP
C

ceejay1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You have one, maybe two options:

1). swap it for the correct year transmission for that vehicle. That's it.

The following changed in 2009:
- MLPS and Pressure switch manifold replaced with Internal Mode Switch
- 3-2 control solenoid deleted

Your computer's command and control are looking for the psm and the 3-2 control solenoid and are not seeing them. The IMS must be sending a correct P/N signal to the PCM otherwise you wouldnt even be able to start the truck.

Call the GM Dealership-Parts and see if they can assist you with transmissions that have a compatable set of 3-character ID codes, as shown on the ID tag, for your truck. This way you know exactly what to look for...

That's your best bet for now.

2). If you're up for it, remove the valve body, separator plate and anything else bolted to the underside of the case and take a VERY GOOD picture of the worm tracks. If they themselves are the same as all other years, then it may be possible to swap in a valve body, spacer plate, harness and full electrical package for a 2007/2008 model year unit.

But id call the dealer first.
Thanks for all the info. I will start looking at transmissions I guess. Very frustrating, I'd rather have the correct original transmission not working versus a working non original transmission.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I will start looking at transmissions I guess. Very frustrating, I'd rather have the correct original transmission not working versus a working non original transmission.
You're welcome, man...sucks, sorry that happened to you. Not many folks know of that design change so I may make a video showing the differences and implications at some point.

OP
OP
C

ceejay1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You're welcome, man...sucks, sorry that happened to you. Not many folks know of that design change so I may make a video showing the differences and implications at some point.
It's all good. It could always be worse. Is there a good tutorial on swapping out the transmission? All I've ever done is a TH350 on a SBC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019