Water intrusion through back hatch!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SAA106

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2016 GMC Denali. I just had the two rear lights replaced and some work done to reconnect one of the rear defroster wires to the window at the dealership. Shortly after I noticed a smell in the truck which got worse. I went searching for the reason and found the rear carpet under my 3rd seats soaked. I removed the seats and cargo organizer and found water pooling under the rear cargo organizer. This water built up and flowed forward getting the carpet and jute very wet. It appears the water is coming in from the top area of the rear hatch and running ‘behind’ the hatch weatherstripping then pooling on the rear floor pan under the cargo tray. The water pools behind that ugly dog towel at the hatch latch.

Anyone had this issue? This truck never had a leak until it went to the dealership for work. I have taken it back but it won’t be seen till next week. Any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

• B74E3FE7-9B16-47F0-8052-B4D91BDE6689.jpeg
    B74E3FE7-9B16-47F0-8052-B4D91BDE6689.jpeg
    374.6 KB · Views: 6

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
2016 GMC Denali. I just had the two rear lights replaced and some work done to reconnect one of the rear defroster wires to the window at the dealership. Shortly after I noticed a smell in the truck which got worse. I went searching for the reason and found the rear carpet under my 3rd seats soaked. I removed the seats and cargo organizer and found water pooling under the rear cargo organizer. This water built up and flowed forward getting the carpet and jute very wet. It appears the water is coming in from the top area of the rear hatch and running ‘behind’ the hatch weatherstripping then pooling on the rear floor pan under the cargo tray. The water pools behind that ugly dog towel at the hatch latch.

Anyone had this issue? This truck never had a leak until it went to the dealership for work. I have taken it back but it won’t be seen till next week. Any help will be appreciated.
Check the large connector for the gate. Top dead center when the gate is open. Many have had to reseal that connector.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins