Watch out for Junk Falling Off of Trucks...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this past Saturday I was heading up to West Palm Beach on the Florida Turnpike ...when suddenly out of the clear blue a big 4' x 4' 4" thick Rubber Isolation pad hit a Lexus in front of me. The entire front facia of the Lexus disintegrated...resulting in the rubber mat landing directly in front of my 2016 Yukon.

The Yukon gobbled it up...with the mat being spit out the back and landing "God knows where". I pulled over and surveyed the damage. It didn't look like much but I immediately got a "Service Parking Assist" notice on the dash. When I got home I looked more closely and decided to take it in to a Geico Claims office on Monday.

The adjusters looked at it, took it in and prepared an estimate. The result was I needed a complete new bumper cover with new paint and clear coat, right and left side bumper cover guides, upper and lower radiator support shield, 1: new parking sensor and a new parking sensor harness.

Total was $1312.16...I carry $250 deductible. Here are some pics.

Yukon 1.jpg Yukon 2.jpg Yukon 3.jpg Yukon 4.jpg Yukon 5.jpg

It's all back together now and as good as new.

I rented a Hyundai Santa Fe for three days while the Yukon was in the shop and have to say...it felt like I was riding a bicycle compared to the Yukon !!

My take from this ordeal is that there is a whole bunch of stuff that can be damaged behind the Bumper Cover when hitting debris on the road. These trucks are kinda low in the front and are vulnerable to damage. I would have never dreamed that this much damage could be done from something that on the surface looks very minor.

Live and learn....and watch out for crap flying off trucks !!!

Garryowen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So this past Saturday I was heading up to West Palm Beach on the Florida Turnpike ...when suddenly out of the clear blue a big 4' x 4' 4" thick Rubber Isolation pad hit a Lexus in front of me. The entire front facia of the Lexus disintegrated...resulting in the rubber mat landing directly in front of my 2016 Yukon.

The Yukon gobbled it up...with the mat being spit out the back and landing "God knows where". I pulled over and surveyed the damage. It didn't look like much but I immediately got a "Service Parking Assist" notice on the dash. When I got home I looked more closely and decided to take it in to a Geico Claims office on Monday.

The adjusters looked at it, took it in and prepared an estimate. The result was I needed a complete new bumper cover with new paint and clear coat, right and left side bumper cover guides, upper and lower radiator support shield, 1: new parking sensor and a new parking sensor harness.

Total was $1312.16...I carry $250 deductible. Here are some pics.

View attachment 65945 View attachment 65946 View attachment 65947 View attachment 65948 View attachment 65949

It's all back together now and as good as new.

I rented a Hyundai Santa Fe for three days while the Yukon was in the shop and have to say...it felt like I was riding a bicycle compared to the Yukon !!

My take from this ordeal is that there is a whole bunch of stuff that can be damaged behind the Bumper Cover when hitting debris on the road. These trucks are kinda low in the front and are vulnerable to damage. I would have never dreamed that this much damage could be done from something that on the surface looks very minor.

Live and learn....and watch out for crap flying off trucks !!!

John

Condolences offered. Pleased to learn you and your Yukon survived without major damage and you are reunited again.
I suspect this situation is more common than one may expect. I live north of Atlanta and often commute in and through the city. If it isn't someone flying past in a full size SUV while resting a newspaper on the steering wheel and, sometimes, using the vanity mirror to affix their lip gloss; it will be a bevy of one ton or smaller trucks looking like buses in Thailand!

In my situation, I was channeled into one lane by traffic on both sides when a large duffle bag of poles fell off the back.

Did anyone ever tell you a Corvette can fly? My 2004 hit this 'log' and left the ground with both driver side tires ripped open. I can attest that run flat tires work! The warning bells rang as though my aircraft was about to stall. At any rate, I was able to get off the interstate and eventually to my local ABRA body shop. About $1500 later the Corvette was none the worse for wear.

I suppose our Yukon would have faired better but it was a very big bag...

In the end, its difficult to maintain a distance between you and the car ahead of you, particularly during rush hour. I still try to do this even though I realize it is more a mental relief than a physics solution.

All the best!

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have seen a lazy boyish style chair still in the box fall out of a truck on the freeway, cars swerved on the shoulder to miss it except one lady in a van. She hit the box at full speed (not even a tap of the brake) to which parts of lazy boy went flying everywhere. Finally passed the lady several miles up the road when she took an off ramp and she had some front end damage and a bunch of cardboard stuck in her grill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redoak76