Voltmeter reading high...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tikal769

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone, New owner of a 2005 Denali XL with 142000.

I have a question if you could help out…

My voltage gauge is reading 16v all the time but when tested with equipment it shows it running 14v.
What is causing it to read incorrectly?

Also when I purchased the vehicle from a dealer, the gauges where not working. They took it in the shop for about an
Hour and came back out with it working. Didn’t explain what the repair was but I do wish I asked about it.

comerz1

Reaction score
May be your stepper motor, or possibly a programming issue. Betting someone else here has run into a similar situation that will be of more help.

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those clusters are known to have issues. I know GM was swapping them under warranty for a while. don't know about lately though. may want to call with your vin and see if they are willing to help at all?

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you turn the key off, does the needle go all the way to the little holder all the way left? or does it stay a little away from it? they may have pulled the cluster apart real quick and not put the needles back on properly.

OP
OP
T

Tikal769

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i looked at the gauge with the key off, i think your right about it. the gauge seems be not sitting correctly.

Is that an easy fix? Do i just push the stepper motor back in where its seated?

Thanks all for your help so far

Last edited:

merlin1128

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
those clusters are known to have issues. I know GM was swapping them under warranty for a while. don't know about lately though. may want to call with your vin and see if they are willing to help at all?

I had my cluster go bad years ago and it was like 5 years or 75,000 miles which ever came first.... One would think since they had a problem with them they would have fixed all the bad ones and not stuck it to the people that were over that when it had problems.... Good ol' GM

wreedps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just check craigslist I had a mobil guy come to my home for 100 and replace all the stepper motors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali