Vibration/Front End Issues with RCX 2-3" Lift...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Pretty sure the diff isn't moving around. The other side fine, nice and tight. How do you suggest to remove the output shaft bearing? Slide hammer/bearing attachment?

Yes.

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

I do not believe the engagement collar has anything to do with the issue since thats the first thing i thought of and rulled out. The DS does not move and center diff operates as it should.. I even tried rotating the from D/S alone nothing happened. The issue seems to be coming from the differential itself; along the lines of what nimrodcs is facing.

To answer your questions:-

1. I have 3 4wd buttons 2wd, 4hi, and 4lo.. No Autotrac.

2. The oil seemed to be in good state, its clean, smells normal and viscosity seems okay. Now having said that, i am considering changing oil in all 3 diffs anyway as cheap insurance.

NIMRODCS; To be honest i did not try tiliting the flange about.. I just rotated it back and forth and noticed the alternating friction.. I do need to try that though since it makes most sense since i've almost rulled out any external failure. I believe the issue is in the front diff..

Maybe time for 4.56 gears and 35s :D

Well if you right wheel turns opposite of the other with the plunger removed then the collar must be catching on the two right side axle shafts or there must be a friction lock of some sort between the two. Otherwise the the right output shaft should spin freely of the the left one, driveshaft and diffy thru the disconnect point(#8 in the picture below).
frontaxle01.gif

OP
OP
Blown3ur

Blown3ur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes.

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

Well if you right wheel turns opposite of the other with the plunger removed then the collar must be catching on the two right side axle shafts or there must be a friction lock of some sort between the two. Otherwise the the right output shaft should spin freely of the the left one, driveshaft and diffy thru the disconnect point(#8 in the picture below).
frontaxle01.gif

That is very helpful.. Thank you; I figure I will need to open up that diff anyways to get the collar replaced? If so I might as well do an overhaul and get all them bearings replaced.. Heck may do a regear while im at it.

I've attached two new pics of the truck after the wheels were installed. I'm generally very happy with how it turned out to look, I just wanna do something with the KC lights up front.. They're a bit on the small side for the facia of the truck.

Attachments

• IMG_20141231_142135.jpg
    IMG_20141231_142135.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 6
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 7

nimrodcs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I took my left output shaft out the other day. found a piece of metal just sitting right behind the output shaft (don't know what it was). I replaced that outer bearing and the seal, put it all back together but it still wobbles. Not as bad, but it's still there. It kicks into 4wd just fine, but still scares the hell out of me.

I suspect SunlitComet is correct in saying something is definitely messed up deeper inside the differential. I'll be buying a new front axle assembly in the spring, so I guess I will just have fun trying to blow this one up during the winter. Lol

OP
OP
Blown3ur

Blown3ur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, I took my left output shaft out the other day. found a piece of metal just sitting right behind the output shaft (don't know what it was). I replaced that outer bearing and the seal, put it all back together but it still wobbles. Not as bad, but it's still there. It kicks into 4wd just fine, but still scares the hell out of me.

I suspect SunlitComet is correct in saying something is definitely messed up deeper inside the differential. I'll be buying a new front axle assembly in the spring, so I guess I will just have fun trying to blow this one up during the winter. Lol

I believe so too.. I'm just going to hold off until i have enough time to recondition the diff as a whole.. May replace half shafts and boots while im at it... Heck maybe even the Pitman and Idle arms.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugly truck, I have no other input.

Can't wait to hear the cause and solution

Just kidding.

OP
OP
Blown3ur

Blown3ur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hahaha sorry bow tie I feel embarrassed for completely knocking off your truck I just loved it so much I couldn't resist.. Don't be surprised if you see a 6 inch lift on there with 35s.. Your trucks gonna have a twin :p

Okay so after some deep digging the culprit turned out to be very something very minor easily overlooked.. The RCX diffdrop hits the side of the differential carrier transferring all vibrations onto the cross member, and the driver side bolt that fastens the edge of the diff drop with the diff mount also hits the diff.. Solution will be to unbolt the differential, and the diff drop, modify its edge to clear the diff and use a shorter bolt.. I've attached 2 pics to show what's been happening .. Not too clear but if you focus you can see the interference

3c20463a0bcae5142ae15576971c43ea.jpg
e3392587c940b6ddb7370c7177b03e29.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question / request. Can I see a picture of your CV shaft angles? A picture from the front of the truck looking at them would be good. Curiosity has me wondering about the u joints on them also. But again, just curious.

Keep us posted on the fix. The little things are what always get me too

OP
OP
Blown3ur

Blown3ur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The truck is away for service now, should get it back by the weekend to take the shots you asked for.. I will tell you though CV angle is practically stock and all U-Joints are great.. That's the first thing I checked.. Nevertheless, you sir will have the pictures you ask for by weeks end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk