Vibration and part numbers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

itsagaas

Reaction score
The problem has been fixed and I wanted to report to the forum members.
I have a 1996 2-door Tahoe with 5.7L (VIN code R).
After getting four new tires mounted & balanced along with a front end alignment after changing my upper and lower ball joints there was still a vibration between 35 and 40 MPH same as I had before all of the work.

Completely by chance yesterday while doing an exhaust system inspection preparing to put in new cats, I noticed the seal was torn where the drive shaft slip yoke slides into the transmission. To replace the seal, I had to remove the drive shaft. While it was out, I figured I would replace the Universal joints. Did this with greaseable NEAPCO 2-3011HD U-joints (Made in USA). Put everything back together and the vibration is gone. Rides very smooth now.

Some other miscellaneous info:
The retainer pins (2) that hold the dashboard cup insert into the dash are GM part number 15717485. These are gray color.

The rear seat release cable ends have retainer nuts that sometimes loosen up. I added nylon lock nuts to the ends of the two cables (for left and right release hooks) to keep this from happening. The thread on these is M4-07.
The rear seat now releases first time every time the handle is pulled.

Hope this helps someone. This forum has been a great source of info and help for me.
Thank you,
Ken

97Tahoe2d4x

Reaction score
Cool, another 2 door driver. Thanks for the info.

I had a problem with passenger side front seat release mechanism where there's a wire going across to release the latch on other side came off.

How many miles on your truck? Mine's going past 261K and still going strong.

Cheers,

OP
OP
I

itsagaas

Reaction score
Ryan,
My '96 just passed 168k miles. Just put in MagnaFlow stainless front pipes and new cats. Next is Gibson 615501 stainless cat back exhaust. Planning to keep this quite a while!
The inside is like new with new leather seat covers from the Seat Shop in Texas and also new carpet. Did the interior in June just before heading down to the 4WD beach in North Carolina.
Enjoy,
Ken

---------- Post added at 04:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 AM ----------

Ryan,
Noticed your 261k miles. Is that on the original engine? If so that is VERY encouraging!
Thanks,
Ken

---------- Post added at 04:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 AM ----------

Ryan,
Also noted your comment about the passenger seat. If you take your seat out it would be great if you could post a photo showing the detail of how the springs in the seat release linkage go in. I had one come out during my work on the interior (when I had all of the seats out of the truck) and it is not obvious how it goes back in.
Thanks,
Ken

97Tahoe2d4x

Reaction score
Hi Ken,
261K miles on original motor as far as I know. I got mine used in 2000 with little over 45000 miles.

As for the passenger seat, seat back would tilt forward but seat will not slide forward when release handle is pulled. It just turned out to be a wire that releases the seat slider lock on the other side ( slider closer to the center console).
As for your spring issue, let me see if I can dig up something. Is it in the seat back or bottom part?

So, your truck must have that "new car smell" with all new carpet and seat covers? NICE.

Let me know how you like the Gibson set up when you get it.

Take care,

TonyBuckets

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ive been getting some vibrations also and thought it might be the universal joint on the drive shaft also, this thread sort of confirmed this. I'll have to take a better look at it when its up on the lift. thanks.

mcm1209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a 2 door 2 wheel drive
Mine also has a vibration but starts around 65 mph and up
Has all new front suspension, u joints and all new steering components
Rebalanced the tires and found the following
1. Front tires are 235/50 18 and are not load rated for the tahoe. Should be a weight rating of 105 and the tires are 97.
2. When tire shop was balancing the tires, guy called me to the balancing machine and showed me that there is a slight flat spot on the tire. Discount would not balance the tires because i had the wrong load rating. That's how i found out about load ratings.
My rear tires are at 104 and is acceptable for my truck

I had to order 235/55 18 becasue there is no 235/50 18 with the proper load rating
Nitto 420S 235/55 18
It's a difference of almost 1" height overall, so will rise the front end about 1/2".
I hope this takes care of the vibration

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

Mine has 240k

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cayukon