Update/New Problem/Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hammer02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I posted awhile back about my 02 yukon denali having a whining/howling sound on take off.

Well I found out that whoever had the truck before me needed to replace the front diff and when they did so they did so with a 4x4 front diff and not an AWD front diff. So the diff isnt engaged due to me not having the switch to engage 4x4. with the front diff not engaged the front drive shaft will spin freely and thus the transfer case will try to compensate for the "slipping" it thinks it going on in the front and that's the sound ive been hearing from the transfer case.

So I need to get an awd front diff(Contact me if you wanna donate one to me,Ill pay shipping or ill pick up if you're close.)

But Im wondering if there is a way to trick the 4x4 diff into engaging? I feel like the ratios would be wrong or running in 4 hi or low all the time would be a problem. I might be wrong..Let me know...Thanks

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ratio on your frontend either matches the rear or it doesnt. Look for a code on the front axle and decode the rpo code. RPO code sticker in your glove box will tell you what the rear ratio is. 4low selection is a result of low range in the transfer case NOT the frontend and you dont have that available range in your AWD tcase. You can lock in the front end but i wouldnt do it until you find out if your front and rear match. Your tcase clutches may be already fried.
what a mess. sorry about your luck guy.

OP
OP
Hammer02

Hammer02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info...

If the ratios dont match and I were to do it...what may happen?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts