Truck not running smooth!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigWhiteBeast

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi so these past couple days my 2001 Chevy Tahoe has been acting weird. Before work 2 days ago the truck didn't want to start. when it did start it dropped to 200 RPM's. I turned the truck on and off about 5 times before it actually started. on my way to my buddies house today, the truck would drop to about 350/400 RPM's. Then when i pulled into the driveway it dropped to 150 RPM's then went back up to 600 RPM's. I then let it sit and it shut off. I run Full Synthetic Oil with a Premium oil filter. I also have a Gibson Cat Back Exhaust. i have no idea what it could be. the fuel pump was replaced about 1 1/2 ago but hasn't caused me any problems.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to vote cats being clogged or starting to clog. you can check the exhaust pipe before and after the cat with an infrared temp gauge and if there is a big drop in temp chances are they are clogged.

OP
OP
BigWhiteBeast

BigWhiteBeast

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm going to vote cats being clogged or starting to clog. you can check the exhaust pipe before and after the cat with an infrared temp gauge and if there is a big drop in temp chances are they are clogged.

I got it checked out. It was the ground to the truck. Very easy fix. Thank you for your help tho I appreciate it.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got it checked out. It was the ground to the truck. Very easy fix. Thank you for your help tho I appreciate it.

Which ground? There are a few floating around on these rigs.

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
Probably the ground from the engine block to the firewall. I remove and clean mine every couple years. A lot of the computers tie into the chassis ground inside the cab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ridnclean18