Truck noob, and first post @ TY forum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jw2k_fr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As is custom, this is my "hello" first post.

I've been doing a little lurking before I signed up, gathering info for a build I'm looking to do next year, if all goes well.

As an introduction I'm a Brit who moved to the US in 2006. I've had a couple of bikes in that time, but haven't owned anything with four wheels. Also, I grew up driving mostly small capacity euro-diesels. I learned to drive in a 1.0L Volkswagen Polo wagon, a car that I have super-fond memories of as it was a tiny little tank. It sipped gas and never skipped a beat. Okay, so there were hills it struggled with, but it was so well built - from back in the days VW was an upper-mid range brand (in my view). The largest capacity engined car I drove was a 2L Vauxhall, which I had for about a year before I moved to France and had a 1.6L diesel. So, put that lot together and coming over here, to be surround by 5L, 6L and bigger engines has always left me drooling. I have total displacement envy ;)

I'm looking to free myself up as the year winds down - finishing the renovation of my apartment with a view to selling it in the spring, tying up my work commitments, all with a view to being free to travel and find where I really want to live over here. I've come to find that I love fifties trucks, and look to have the opportunity to do a chassis swap and put a 57 GMC panel truck onto a yukon frame. Given my displacement envy, my ideal donor is likely to be an '09 Denali as I know I'm going to regret settling for anything less than a 6.2L with AWD. I'm thinking of putting a 4" lift to give the '57 a little bit of attitude and then throw some 31" tyres on there to fill things out nicely. The build is going to be a daily driver, capable of pulling an airstream, but also doing a bit of overlanding once the airstream has been parked somewhere.

So, that's why I'm here. Hoping to glean lots of useful nuggets from the wealth of information already posted here, for which I thank those who have gone before! I hope to be able to reciprocate with an interesting build thread. There is a decent chance I may document the build on youtube as I'm semi-pro photographer with decent video skills. Just don't expect anything before the middle of '22.

Anyway, for anyone who reads this, my one question for tonight would be - what wheels would you put on the above mentioned build? They need to suit a '57 but don't have to be exactingly period correct. I'm looking for this kind of presence - NAPCO restomod style!:

https://lonestar4x4.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/inventory_1957_chevy_truck_19.jpg

Here's the page which that image is from

Thanks again for such a useful resource - see y'all around!

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and good luck on the search. Pics when you find what you want.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Secaucus N.J.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

OP
OP
jw2k_fr

jw2k_fr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
As is custom, this is my "hello" first post.

I've been doing a little lurking before I signed up, gathering info for a build I'm looking to do next year, if all goes well.

As an introduction I'm a Brit who moved to the US in 2006. I've had a couple of bikes in that time, but haven't owned anything with four wheels. Also, I grew up driving mostly small capacity euro-diesels. I learn to drive in a 1.0L Volkswagen Polo wagon, a car I have super fond memories of as it was a tiny little tank. It sipped gas and never skipped a beat. Okay, so there were hills it struggled with, but it was so well built - from back in the days VW was an upper-mid range brand (in my view). The largest capacity engined car I drove was a 2L Vauxhall, which I had for about a year before I moved to France and had a 1.6L diesel. So, put that lot together and coming over here, to be surround by 5L, 6L and bigger engines has always left me drooling. I have total displacement envy ;)

I'm looking to free myself up as the year winds down - finishing the renovation of my apartment with a view to selling it in the spring, tying up my work commitments, all with a view to being free to travel and find where I really want to live over here. I've come to find that I love fifties trucks, and look to have the opportunity to do a chassis swap and put a 57 GMC panel truck onto a yukon frame. Given my displacement envy, my ideal donor is likely to be an '09 Denali as I know I'm going to regret settling for anything less than a 6.2L with AWD. I'm thinking of putting a 4" lift to give the '57 a little bit of attitude and then throw some 31" tyres on there to fill things out nicely. The build is going to be a daily driver, capable of pulling an airstream, but also doing a bit of overlanding once the airstream has been parked somewhere.

So, that's why I'm here. Hoping to glean lots of useful nuggets from the wealth of information already posted here, for which I thank those who have gone before! I hope to be able to reciprocate with an interesting build thread. There is a decent chance I may document the build on youtube as I'm semi-pro photographer with decent video skills. Just don't expect anything before the middle of '22.

Anyway, for anyone who reads this, my one question for tonight would be - what wheels would you put on the above mentioned build? They need to suit a '57 but don't have to be exactingly period correct. I'm looking for this kind of presence - NAPCO restomod style!:

https://lonestar4x4.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/inventory_1957_chevy_truck_19.jpg

Here's the page which that image is from

Thanks again for such a useful resource - see y'all around!
Those are nice. I've always liked the look of Transit rims. These are rims that are/were on Yukons/Escalades/Tahoes when they are shipped from GM when originally equipped with factory 22's. They're used because they're steel, also 22's, so the nice aluminum rims don't get damaged. Once at the dealer the aluminum rims are then swapped for the Transit rims once it's prepped for retail sale. They're not for sale to the public, but some sets do trickle out. There's a wheel manufacturer who makes the same style of rim in various sizes that takes a nice moon style center cap. Imo this style would like great on a 57 panel truck.
GM Transit rim.
download.jpeg.jpg
images.jpeg-2.jpgimages.jpeg-1.jpg
This MIGHT be the company, but I'm not positive. 20211014_110639.jpg

OP
OP
jw2k_fr

jw2k_fr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Those are nice. I've always liked the look of Transit rims. These are rims that are/were on Yukons/Escalades/Tahoes when they are shipped from GM when originally equipped with factory 22's.
View attachment 352744View attachment 352745View attachment 352746
@Tonyrodz Thanks for this - I really like that style too - but I think I would prefer them for a street build - I'm hoping to do at 49-55 pickup as my second truck, a few years down the line. I'd be down for steelies there, and while that would also be a chassis swap, it would probably have to be on an S-10 - I'm not sold on the white wall look with those wheels though:

Untitled-1-205036.jpgjZoeHXnQbI8Ys3V0z-Vr34RvKo3WIQihOKxU5QriFevDInIhy2.jpg

Given that the '57 Yuke needs to overland, I'm currently leaning towards these wheels from American Racing:

american racing Baja.jpg

They may be just a little too plain though - I'm struggling with black wheels and tyres 'disappearing' into the gloom of the wheel arches. Silver and black look better in that respect, but finding something which looks vaguely period correct is hard...

Last edited:
OP
OP
jw2k_fr

jw2k_fr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Reaaaaaallly annoying that if you hit the preview button, the forum goes and posts the reply and leaves it awaiting mod approval... so that preview function is actually broken for us noobs :( Guess I'll just have to up my post count ;) And weirdly, this has posted straight through, without approval, so maybe I'm past my trial posts?!?

So, for the NAPCO '57 panel VAN, I'm looking for an overland wheel - while I REALLY like Fifteen52's analog wheel, it doesn't look right to me for thirty inch wheels on this truck:

_76bdf2c7-896f-4109-94dc-44f27a9bf6be_1024x1024@2x.jpg cig-cozy-gallery-32155Qk-LC3_1776-xxl.jpg

REALLY like the way they look on that FJ cruiser, but the '57 Panel van has much softer, subtler lines, so I think it needs the wheels to pop a little and work as an accent. Those Analogs would look great on a street build, maybe an earlier AD or possibly a late thirties Master series pickup:

et%2BMaster%2BHC%2BSeries%2BPickup%2BFront%2BRight.jpg

Chopped, lowered, and with slightly widened fenders, that could be a cool look for a street rod. Reminds me of all the ZZ-Top albums I listened to when I was in high school!

Dayumn, but I'm going to need a large garage... :eek:

Last edited:

Walchit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like those 22" steelies! I think with mud tires they would look sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne

Latest posts