Transmission not shifting into 3rd...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the myth that flushing the transmission will kill it, I wouldn't call it a myth though it's happened to a lot of people including myself, when the maintenance routine is unknown I think it happens more often with transmissions that have not been maintained on a regular basis, which is why I do mine annually regardless of mileage

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
the myth that flushing the transmission will kill it, I wouldn't call it a myth though it's happened to a lot of people including myself, when the maintenance routine is unknown I think it happens more often with transmissions that have not been maintained on a regular basis, which is why I do mine annually regardless of mileage
Not sure it's that it kills it as much as it exposes underlying issues such as clutch wear that an existing abrasive trans fluid would otherwise mask, and is why I make a pretty big deal about inspecting thr current condition of the fluid prior to doing any service. If it looks like shit, leave it alone and start saving for a rebuild. It'll work in the mean time, but not for long as the death note has already been signed.

That being said, in OPs case, with 113k, I'd be surprised if the clutches were genuinely shot unless he has a habit of absolutely beating the ever loving piss out of the thing since day 1.

Dropping the pan and doing the filter introduces some variables and the potential for error. Could be a busted plug, pin tension, accumulator, wrong fluid used / level, etc. Really just need to get a scan tool in there and observe commanded vs. Actual, see what's up.

Though I will say, in the state the trans is in now, be very very careful how you drive it. Trans clutches don't have a lot of thermal mass and driving the thing while it's slipping will burn them up in about 30 seconds. THEN you absolutely need a rebuild.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM