Transmission issues on '97, Hard shifting, clicking...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a '97 K1500 4 door Tahoe Automatic. I have been noticing some transmission issues lately.
When I shift from Reverse to Drive, I hear a loud click from under the vehicle, same with shifting from Drive to Reverse. It almost sounds like a hammer hitting a piece of metal.
Also, when I go from a stop, the shift from first to second shifts VERY hard, it jerks the vehicle forward even with very little throttle. any other shift is fine but 1-2 is very hard.

I checked the fluid level, it is normal. What could be causing these problems?

Mileage- 144,***

OP
OP
HotCarl

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an idea on the HARD shift from 1-2??

99COOP

Retired
Reaction score
any codes? more info is needed for a diagnosis. Kinda resembles a p1870 code which is not good, but again more info is needed.

OP
OP
HotCarl

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a code reader.
HOWEVER, today when I drove it the HARD 1-2 up-shift is gone. Loud clang from R to D is still there tho. I am taking it to a tranny shop here in town later today to have them check it out.

99COOP

Retired
Reaction score
Thats your best bet, but don't let them tell you it needs a full rebuild before you have done some research on it.

txhoescrapin

Our needy member :-)
Reaction score
I had p1870 and my tranny was trashed. Total rebuild. Luckily a lifelong friend owns a tranny shop! cut 50% off labor. out the door for $900.

grimm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the quality of the fluid, check your u-joints, etc. if the transmission fluid looks black or burnt, something isn't right. like 99coop said, don't let 'em tell you it needs a full rebuild before doing some research. there's a lot of shops out there that'll try to make some extra money in unnecessary labor. find a good, honest shop, or you could save some money if you try to tackle it yourself if you've got the patience, the right parts, the right tools and equipment, and a good space to work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HotCarl

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just spoke to the tech at the shop. Bad U-joints in the front and back, but no codes what so ever, which is strange, but when I drove it over to the shop the hard up-shift was gone. He quoted me at $125ish for U-joints installed, another $100ish for having the transmission serviced, and another $8 for the transfer case flushed.

Does this sound legit?

grimm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's not too expensive, at least not compared to what some shops in my area would quote for the same services. some times things run differently at different operating temperatures. my truck shifts a little harder than usual when cold, however everything smooths out after its warmed up slightly. i'd say have the u-joints replaced, have the fluids and filter changed, at the very least and see how your truck runs. be careful as sometimes when you let a shop do something, like an inspection or typical maintenance, they'll "notice a problem" and work on it before letting you know and suddenly you're paying 500-1000 dollars more than you were planning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove