Trailer brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Corvette Scott

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2022 Yukon Denali. Always get the service trailer brakes after the third or fourth brake application. I know they recently issued a bulletin about it. After reading it I went and bought a new GM switch for $11, according to the bulletin it's the problem.

Two questions, has anyone replaced this in their truck and did it fix the problem.

Second question is I noticed that the switch currently in my truck always has the trailer logo on the switch illuminated, even with lights off, seems strange.

Thanks,
Scott

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Scott - The trailer logo is always illuminated on mine. Though when I'm driving, the view of it is blocked by the steering wheel so I don't notice it.

Is this the part number you bought? It seems like if the switch is bad and there's a bulletin out, there would be a new part number to replace the faulty design. Usually replacing like for like will result in the same issue... Report back when you replace it if it ends up fixing your problem.

1677869777967.png

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not take it to the dealer for them to fix for free?
As for being the same part number could have been a bad batch not necessarily a bad internal design that would necessitate a change.

Haven't used mine yet. Hope I don't have any issue with it.

OP
OP
C

Corvette Scott

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks all for the feedback. The above is the switch I bought. It will take me over an hour each way to the dealership. For ten dollars and maybe a half hour of my time I will give it a try. I bought the truck as a tow vehicle, I am a HPDE instructor and trailer my car to about ten events every summer so the tow package is important. I will let you know if it works.

Thanks

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the feedback. The above is the switch I bought. It will take me over an hour each way to the dealership. For ten dollars and maybe a half hour of my time I will give it a try. I bought the truck as a tow vehicle, I am a HPDE instructor and trailer my car to about ten events every summer so the tow package is important. I will let you know if it works.

Thanks
Have you had a chance to replace your trailer brake controller - if so, did it fix your problem?

OP
OP
C

Corvette Scott

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, put in the new switch. It took about 1/2 hour taking my time. Hooked up to my trailer and all the lights worked and after about 100 brake try's everything still worked, definitely the issue for my truck. The one I took out was P/N 87834257, the one I put in was 87098211. The box had an additional zero on the front and end of the number I posted. SO happy it is working, the max trailer option was a showstopper for me.