TPMS Sensor Relearn -- 3 WERE working, Now all 4 are not...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2008 Yukon Denali, 176K. I had one weak TPMS sensor, so error light was on and dash showed PSI for only 3 of the 4 tires. I had been planning to replace the sensor on the one tire. Took vehicle to body shop for a deer collision repair. They noticed the one sensor not working and attempted to recalibrate. Now all 4 have the "-" on the display. Ironically, I had ordered a sensor and TPMS Reset Tool, prior to receiving the vehicle back. I put it into relearn mode and of course the LR tire sensor, last in the relearn process, doesn't read because of the weak battery (planning to have the sensor installed tomorrow). My question is this... Once it's in relearn mode, even though 3 of the 4 indicated they received the reset signal and #4 (LR) still cannot, is that why all 4 now show "-" when they didn't before? In other words, do you have to complete all 4 in the relearn process for any of them to display the PSI?

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe so on the 2008.. But learning 1 or 4 is the exact same procedure...
so.... not a big deal
Sometimes if it's the FIRST one position that is bad, then you can't really get
the process going correctly. If it's the 4th wheel, then the first 3 will usually learn
and you'll get the - on the final one.. It's totally blind luck

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had the same thing happen on my 2007 Silverado. 1st three in the sequence worked. #4 was dead. Got -‘s for all 4 since I couldn’t finish the sequence.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI, if one sensor is dying just replace all 4 because the others will be dying soon too, and you’ll get to keep playing this game like it’s Groundhog Day. :crazy:

OP
OP
KATfishing

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your thoughts! I took the vehicle to Walmart this morning to have them replace the one sensor which I had ordered on Amazon. I actually purchased 4 new sensors, so I have the other 3 in hand. I only had them replace the one dead sensor because of a time crunch. I figured next time one goes bad I’ll do the 3 remaining since I have them. Once LR was replaced, all 4 could relearn. Ironically, the other 3 would not show on display even with beep of horn at each location until #4 was detectable allowing the relearn process to be fully complete. Very happy to just not have that light flashing at me.